Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th May 2008, 10:27 AM
genci Offline

Fedora 9 - sound playback stutters

Hi all,

I've just done a clean upgrade to Fedora 9 and while I have sound working, I've noticed that playing back mp3's and videos (avi) the sound stutters every few seconds. It does this in a variety of apps eg VLC, Xine, Amarok. I tried this in KDE and Gnome without any improvement. Listening to videos with sound in Firefox work without this stutter.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 26th May 2008, 06:28 PM
A.Serbinski Offline

Make sure that you configure xine to use pulseaudio -- you'll need to install "xine-lib-pulseaudio", then when you go into the setup window for xine and select the "audio" tab, you'll be able to select pulseaudio as the audio driver.
Old 27th May 2008, 07:50 AM
genci Offline

I've done that and got no sound at all from the mp3. I have now changed the xine audio driver back to "auto" and there still isn't any sound. It definitely still plays and stutters in VLC and amarok so I must have been wrong before when I said it played/stuttered in xine.
Old 27th May 2008, 01:29 PM
ruckus Offline

I am having a similar problem after just upgrading to F9. The sound stutters in amarok and xine but is also too fast in mplayer and flash. For example a 6 second clip plays in about 5.8seconds (using the command:
Code:
time paplay /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Logout_new.wav
I don't think the issue is with PulseAudio because using ALSA directly also has the same result:
Code:
pasuspender -- mplayer -ao alsa /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Logout_new.wav
Have you experienced this speed-up?

ruckus
Old 28th May 2008, 09:00 AM
genci Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus
I am having a similar problem after just upgrading to F9. The sound stutters in amarok and xine but is also too fast in mplayer and flash. For example a 6 second clip plays in about 5.8seconds (using the command:
Code:
time paplay /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Logout_new.wav
Not that I've noticed.
Code:
$ time paplay /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Logout_new.wav  
real	0m6.130s 
user	0m0.008s 
sys	0m0.020s
I've seen other threads on sound playing back like chipmunks on helium, so maybe your issue is partially related to that?
Old 28th May 2008, 09:18 AM
daniel.j.laird Offline

I too have done an upgrade of Fc8->fc9 and am having audio stutters on all playback (no music for now then). I have tried all sorts of things with the pulse audio daemon.conf file with no luck.
I searched on google and found some BUGS of XINE backend and audio stutters and it appears that a kernel upgrade might solve it so we might have to wait until a new kernel is made available.
Dan
Old 28th May 2008, 10:40 AM
genci Offline

I see there is another thread on stuttering with the Xine engine.

The two bugzilla reports here and here discuss it.

At least I'm not alone with it.
Old 28th May 2008, 04:12 PM
ruckus Offline

As discussed above I may be having a different problem but just for your information, I think I have fixed the speed and stuterring issues on my machine.

I added the following to the kernel arguments on the GRUB boot screen:
Code:
nohz=off highres=off
I got these from this page.

Might be worth giving a try. You can also add the arguments directly into the file /etc/grub.conf

ruckus
Old 15th August 2008, 04:30 PM
eddieedwards Offline

I'd like to add a "me too" here. I recently installed F9 after running F8 on this Vaio laptop. Sound worked without a hitch there, so it's not a hardware issue. I tried adding the nohz=off and highres=off arguments to my kernel args, but that didn't help. (My mouse is jerky at times, too, so I wonder if it is related--probably "just" a USB issue tho.).

I *did* find this in dmesg, but not sure if it related:
ALSA sound/pci/ac97/ac97_codec.c:2152: MC'97 1 converters and GPIO not ready (0xff00)
Old 14th April 2009, 09:49 AM
delarius Offline

Xine stuttering

Hi,
New to the forums here, well new to posting anyways.
I've been working on this very issue myself, and seem to have found a solution that works for me.
I installed the alsa-driver.i386 via yum, which will also pull down an alsa-kmdl-* dependancy.
I had to enable atrpms to get this (could have installed via rpm but yum is so much more efficient.)
After a reboot, and it's much better. No more stuttering! The only minor downside is the audio does a brief rush right off the start when watching videos, for a second or two, then it all seems to settle down and looks and sounds fine.
Hope this is helpful to someone else, as it's been a challenging evening trying to get this annoying situation resolved.
Be well,
Del

Tags
fedora, playback, sound, stutters