Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th July 2012, 03:08 AM
mattatron Offline

macoschrome
On the Retina MacBook Pro

Anyone on this list that has, or is thinking about buying the Retina display MacBook Pro and wants to run any form of Linux on it, should watch the progress of what Greg Kroah-Hartman is doing to get it working on this hardware.

He has just announced that he has managed to get Gentoo booting directly into the EFI on Google +.
Old 14th July 2012, 12:32 PM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome
Re: On the Retina MacBook Pro

This will interest a few folks on the forum. Sigh, why do people use videos rather than writing it down?

I see at least one of the comments is also asking for documentation--a 30 second video is not going to be too useful.

Last edited by smr54; 19th May 2015 at 06:21 PM.
Old 14th July 2012, 12:51 PM
mattatron Offline

macossafari

Greg is on the kernel team, I'm pretty sure he'll document it once he has it working satisfactorily.
Old 14th July 2012, 02:33 PM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome

Excellent. As mentioned, there's another thread about this somewhere, and I suspect that some of the folks there will really be helped by it.
Old 19th July 2012, 11:27 PM
mattatron Offline

macossafari

@smr54: Got a link to that thread?
Old 20th July 2012, 02:52 AM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome

I meant this one--I think you're on it though.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=281038
Old 6th August 2012, 10:35 AM
mattatron Offline

macoschrome

Just a quick update on this thread:

Since getting my Retina Macbook I've been running OS X pretty successfully with the help of Homebrew to provide the toolset which OS X cannot. Things like htop, rdiff-backup and nmap are all not on OS X by default and the installation of them using Homebrew is really simple and effective.

I've also created a small 50GB partition to experiment with Linux on the hardware. I've installed rEFIt and have tried daily builds of Xubuntu/Ubuntu Quantal Quetzal to see how well it all works. (I did try Fedora 17, but it died shortly after grub with some error I cannot remember.)

The experience is far from perfect. Booting requires the use of "noacpi" and "nomodeset".
The Broadcom wifi adapter works once you have used b43-fwcutter to install the firmware and modprobe the modules.
I have not been able to get the Nvidia drivers working correctly, although admittedly I haven't spent too much time trying yet.
The good news is that is runs blindingly fast, so once we have all the kinks worked out, it will be a great Linux laptop.

I asked Greg Kroah-Hartman for an update on his trials to get Linux working on it and he responded with a succinct: "no x yet, being worked on."
Old 19th May 2015, 09:26 AM
atgogggg Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattatron View Post
Just a quick update on this thread:

Since getting my Retina Macbook I've been running OS X pretty successfully with the help of ...
The Broadcom wifi adapter works once you have used b43-fwcutter to install the firmware and modprobe the modules.
Can you please explain getting the broadcom wifi adapter to work? I run this using the GUI and receive the following error:
Something Went Wrong. Installation of Firmware extraction tool for Broadcom wireless driver failed.

Edit:

I was able to install the cutter by "# yum search fwcutter and installing one that looked like the version from rpm resource. I really am beginning to like Linux.

It installed fine and am now going to look for perhaps a windows driver for my card (BCM4360).

Last edited by atgogggg; 19th May 2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old 20th May 2015, 04:14 AM
chrismurphy Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Go here and follow it:
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43/

In my case with a 2011 Macbook Pro with Fedora I do this:

Code:
curl -Os http://www.lwfinger.com/b43-firmware/broadcom-wl-5.100.138.tar.bz2
tar -xf broadcom-wl-5.100.138.tar.bz2
b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware broadcom-wl-5.100.138/linux/wl_apsta.o
Then reboot. And then in the gnome-shell I can connect to the local wireless network, except not by 802.11n which I understand isn't supported by the b43 open source driver (which is f'n annoying). I haven't tried proprietary driver yet.

Tags
macbook, pro, retina