Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd June 2016, 02:44 PM
Kur0Sh1 Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Make default session

Greetings
I have a problem regarding session. In the past i always started my system in runlevel 3 set my default desktop and run startx. All was ok. Now with systemd I am a bit puzzled. I have XFCE and Openbox and I dont know what commands to write or what file to edit to set openbox as primary or to write startx openbox. The command is startx /usr/bin openbox-session too long. I made an alias for it as startx-os but it put in $HOME/.bashrc. Other users cannot make the same command. I don't want to pass every time argument to kernel at boot what to start. If i can make multiple entries in grub at boot with different parameters it would be nice but still i want to make a command as startx gdm or startx kdm like (for openbox and for xcfe). Maybe in the future I will put Mate (I miss G2)

I hope I explain well what I want.

Kuroshi
Old 3rd June 2016, 03:27 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Make default session

Are you booting into kdm or gdm, or still booting into textmode?

Generally, if booting into text mode, which you can do by running the command systemctl set-default multi-user.target
you create a $HOME/.xinitrc file with your desktop of choice. Then, each user can create their own .xinitrc, those who want openbox having the file say

exec openbox-session

I suspect you know this, which makes me think I may be misunderstanding your question. If you're booting to GDM or KDM, don't they have methods to choose a default session in Fedora? (Sorry, I always boot into text mode, so I'm not sure what methods they would use.)

If I've misunderstood your question and wasted your time, please accept my apology.
Old 3rd June 2016, 03:55 PM
Kur0Sh1 Offline

Yes I open in text mode aka multi-user.target. Since G3 i dont use gnome and i never used KDE (only in mandrake linux.
I have only xcfe and openbox I dont use fancy GUI

I did not tried yet with xinitrc because i dont understand how systemd works and i wanted to be sure i don't messed up. I still don't know if i like or not systemd but is good thing to have an init system similar on majority of distros. I am a classic so i tried to stay away from it (A big off topic) but it has many good parts .

Thanks I will edit xinitrc

Don't need to apologize .
Old 3rd June 2016, 04:04 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

No, this isn't something systemd has broken yet. Even with a systemd machine, one can use xinitrc as we always have.

The ArchLinux wiki has a script to change between xwindow sessions from startx. Or you can just quickly edit $HOME/.xinitrc when you want to switch between openbox and xfce.
Old 3rd June 2016, 04:13 PM
Kur0Sh1 Offline

Thanks I've just wrote something and it's working. I have to do some more research about systemd. Thanks for help.

Tags
defaukt, make, openbox, session, xfce