Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th May 2016, 12:50 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Adwaita theme in MATE Compiz

The big problem with themes and other features is the big disconnect between Gnome and Red Hat. The two do not appear to work together to share RH bugzilla. Any theme bug should be posted to the Gnome bugzilla. Doing so against Fedora will almost guarantee that it does get implemented, but sometime in 2017 and occasionally sooner.

However, today's update (May 17), included Adwaita, from within updates-testing
Code:
adwaita-gtk2-theme                                 x86_64                           3.20.2-1.fc24                                              
 breeze-cursor-theme                                noarch                          5.6.4-1.fc24                                               
 glib2                                              i686                            2.48.1-1.fc24                   
 gnome-themes-standard                              x86_64                          3.20.2-1.fc24

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Last edited by lsatenstein; 17th May 2016 at 01:00 PM.
Old 17th May 2016, 12:56 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

In short, judging by symptoms only, Gnome 3 and the Gnome project would appear to be essentially both a burden on and an infection in the body linux.

<....>
Old 17th May 2016, 01:15 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

Just heard this morning from Clem himself regarding a request I put in for a port of mintmenu to GTK+3 that they are planning a switch to GTK+3 for MATE 1.16. So Adwaita GTK+3 will just work too as and when the switch over from GTK+2 takes place. For what it's worth I've used the GTK+3 version as compiled by Wolfgang on and off for a while now. It works great already, so the switch shouldn't be that complicated (hopefully)

https://github.com/linuxmint/mintmen...ment-219660585
Old 17th May 2016, 01:17 PM
joncr Offline

linuxfedorachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruboXL View Post
Fingers crossed, the bug is on...
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1336718
This seems like an upstream -- Gnome -- issue. If someone downstream puts metacity back in, then they get to chase Gnome and almost certainly play catch up with every new release.

Adwaita is Gnome's and is pretty far down the road to being a Gnome-only theme.
Old 17th May 2016, 04:18 PM
TruboXL Offline

linuxfirefox
Unhappy Re: Adwaita theme in MATE Compiz

wow another nail to the coffin... now they implicitly add the dependency?!
ok i will wait and see how fedora will handle this and then checking out gnome bugzilla thereafter...

having said that i think developers should not depend on exclusively on any theme at all and just focus on choosing gtk or qt...
just so you know, why would lightdm wants to depend on gnome-themes-standard which then pulls adwaita-gtk2-theme?
thats a very bad practice...

also, anyone questioned why adwaita cursor and icons are almost exclusively dependent everywhere?
apparently it is the default for any gtk apps but that doesn't include theme...
https://blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/2014...theme-for-gtk/

then again, i guess its up to the users to take the burden customising to their own needs...
it just hard to escape the claws of gnome in the linux world like Dan said...

Windows 10, Fedora MATE / Cinnamon

Last edited by TruboXL; 17th May 2016 at 04:43 PM. Reason: final edit
Old 17th May 2016, 08:07 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I prefer the Raleigh theme to Adwaita. There is more contrast, and I don't give a hoot about rounded corners. I also find Adwaita forgot about contrast between text and background. Less contrast is a poor decision, if you are using your laptop or cellphone in a bright area.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 17th May 2016, 08:59 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Aw, H-e-double-toothpicks! Less contrast is a poor design decision at damn near anytime. Sadly, they used to teach these sort of things in design school. Now I think they just teach the personal preferences of the slightly dain-bramaged aging instructors who did too many pharmacological experiments in the '60s. And the '70s. And the '80s ... and maybe the '90s, too.
Old 18th May 2016, 12:58 AM
joncr Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Aw, H-e-double-toothpicks! Less contrast is a poor design decision at damn near anytime.
Changing text color is so fundamental to usability, and an accessibility issue in many cases, that it really needs to be exposed in a GUI config tool.

Changing the color used by the display fonts can be done by editing some old school themes, and I imagine it can be done via a bit of CSS in your home folder with new school themes, even Adwaita, if you can figure out which font famlly and which elements to target.

We shouldn't hafta resort to that.

The worst example of this that I've seen, IMO, is KDE's Akregator RSS reader. It defaults to a mix of green and reddish text. (Green indicates one thing, red another). You can change the colors, but I've never found a way to set both to shades of black, which logic would dictate be the actual default.
Old 18th May 2016, 07:08 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by joncr View Post
Changing text color is so fundamental to usability, and an accessibility issue in many cases, that it really needs to be exposed in a GUI config tool.

Changing the color used by the display fonts can be done by editing some old school themes, and I imagine it can be done via a bit of CSS in your home folder with new school themes, even Adwaita, if you can figure out which font famlly and which elements to target.

We shouldn't hafta resort to that.

The worst example of this that I've seen, IMO, is KDE's Akregator RSS reader. It defaults to a mix of green and reddish text. (Green indicates one thing, red another). You can change the colors, but I've never found a way to set both to shades of black, which logic would dictate be the actual default.
In MATE you can change the text colour via GUI for most dialogues via Appearance Preferences>Clicking on the Theme you are using or want to use>Clicking Customise>Colours.

However these changes are not universally picked up, mintmenu for example does not pick up text colours from this in the correct manner. Instead, you have to right click it and choose Preferences>Theme.

I submitted a request on github a while back as well asking for an extra option for Application Text to the mintmenu developers. If you want to use a light theme with a dark panel and menu background such as blue-submarine, you can't then make mintmenu background match the panel without using another theme for mintmenu. There is no way to make the text light. This should be automatically handled in the best case scenario. because blue-submarine menus are typically dark yet have white text it should be possible to have mintmenu the same without using BlackMATE for example.

I don't know if GNOME Tweak tool can change font colours? It's been a while since I used it.
Old 18th May 2016, 01:29 PM
joncr Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post

I don't know if GNOME Tweak tool can change font colours?
No, it can't. Neither can the setting tools in KDE, Unity, Cinnamon and, I think, XFCE.

There's also a GTK2-era theme config tool that can change some text.

I've noticed that default text set at solid black -- #000000 -- looks worse to me than text at a light shade of black. Unity, last I looked, uses #333333. That's a bit lighter, but still dark to the eye.

Sub-pixel rendering relies on color manipulation, so I wonder if text color effects font rendering.

In my ideal Linux world, we'd be able to set things like this for system-wide use, with apps, etc., overriding them only with our OK.
Old 18th May 2016, 08:46 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

You can alter the font color globally in Gnome 3 by manually editing the CSS sheet in the default theme folder.
Old 21st November 2016, 12:48 PM
TruboXL Offline

windows_7firefox

"Sorry, gnome-themes-standard is a package that ships GNOME theming and isn't intended for MATE. Please ask the MATE people to ship the theming that their components need."

Welp, marking this long awaited bug as "solved" then...
It's sad that the theme is unusable out of the box and removing it also removes LightDM altogether...

A prick that theme is.

Windows 10, Fedora MATE / Cinnamon
Old 21st November 2016, 02:59 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

I like Wolfgang's no-nonsense reply and concur 100% with him. Sadly certain developers simply don't care what happens to other desktop environments as long as Workstation is okay. even if something shared commonly in RH like Adwaita breaks for other desktop environments

Tags
adwaita, compiz, mate, theme