Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th January 2017, 04:31 PM
Wolf359 Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Fedora Games Respin presents me with a wallpaper and nothing else

Okay so I have a new Alienware R4 I got on Cyber Monday just over a month ago- I'm a linux nut so I wanted to dual boot linux with windows. It has a raid controller which Ubuntu simply isn't packaged to cope with- so I tried fedora but nouveau doesn't yet support the latest nvidia hardware so I went and get the games respin because you know they have the nvidia binary drivers packaged in; it does. So I start it up as a live USB boot; it presents me with the xfce login with "Live User" as the default login. I tell it to login and I'm simply shown the wallpaper with no icons or menus; right click doesn't give me a context menu, it's not showing me a desktop I can use? I have a working driver and it's clearly rendering... something, just not anything I can use to determine how to do an install. Is this a known issue with this respin? Any advice?
Old 3rd February 2017, 02:07 AM
DBelton Online
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Fedora Games Respin presents me with a wallpaper and nothing else

Weeeellllllll....

Any of the official Fedora spins aren't going to have the Nvidia binary drivers on it. The official games spin it pretty much the same as the desktop live image, without wine, without libreoffice, and games added. Other than that, it's pretty much identical.

Tags
fedora, games, presents, respin, wallpaper