Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th February 2017, 04:36 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
A spin to make spins

I am looking for an ISO tool to make a tool. Let me explain.

Is there an existing tool spin (iso) that we can download boot, that would have an integrated application script therein which we could would use to make a spin. The mock and live-cd-creator that Fedora promotes does not work for me on my laptop. It runs until it goes into a tight loop and crashes the laptop on "over-temperature".

I am not asking how to make a live-CD creator, but I am looking for an ISO to install to a flashdrive and to use that temporary installation to create appropriate spin/Remix.

Nothing I know exists for this purposes.

The closest that I found to a tool was the Russian Fedora Linux with the network install ISO, followed by a bash script that I created for myself.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 18th February 2017, 04:50 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxubuntuchrome
Re: A spin to make spins

moved to Spins & Remixes

And, Leslie, if Fedora and the Russian Fedora are the same, with the exception of the extra codecs, why even mention Russian Fedora and link it once again? I think we can all find it without the assist.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 18th February 2017, 05:58 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
moved to Spins & Remixes

And, Leslie, if Fedora and the Russian Fedora are the same, with the exception of the extra codecs, why even mention Russian Fedora and link it once again? I think we can all find it without the assist.
Hi Bob,

The Fedora spins and remixes available on the web are oriented towards XFCE, KDE, MATE Workstation, etc. Some are geared to cryptography security, games etc, based on Fedora and Rpmfusion repositories.

I have a collection of my own FOSS software that I want to put onto an ISO. These are not from known repositories. A mix up of git and tar files, all GPL licensed FOSS stuff.

An Italian friend and I would like to make a "Author's spin or Remix", He and I would like the Workstation spin to include Gimp, Inkscape, Lynx, Cherrytree, and some other FOSS software that authors would profit in having within their Fedora based Linux toolbox. The Author's spin would also support Music composition.

Authors use many non Fedora based FOSS tools in order to write a book or write a manual. The Remix, if we can do an ISO would include them in it, We would use the tool to build into the ISO the extra FOSS software not available within the Fedora directories or within the downloaded skeleton boot.iso that the creator tool uses.

So the question is, can we use the existing tool live-cd-creator tool? I tried, without success.

We thought of making a self repository within our own ISO similar to rpmfusion. If we had that tool that I am hoping would exist, we would essentially be able to build our own Fedora++ based FOSS ISO. The tool would be known to work.

One of my difficulties which the tool may solve.... My laptop has 4 gigs ram with ample diskspace, but the ISO build using live-cd-creator fails. It appears to overheat the laptop (I3 cpu) which shuts down and its not giving me time to discover where it failed.

In my mind, the tool, tailored to making ISO.s would have worked before it was packaged and made available for download; it should work if it is used to build a spin.

Old 19th February 2017, 01:10 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Mithrandir

linuxchrome

If all you want to make is an ISO, why not try this?

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_t...SO_for_testing

I have tried this a long time ago and remember that it worked at that time.

Of course, if you want to include custom repos, you would need to enable these in mock config file.

The Linux Documentation Project | Fedora Documentation
Old 19th February 2017, 06:32 AM
ocratato Online

linuxfirefox

While I can see that a spin is an excellent way to set up a machine for some dedicated purpose - such as one for multimedia editing, or security research, I am not so sure that is works for something like an "authors work bench" where the tasks are in addition to other things that the user may be interested in.

For example, say I wanted to use it for documenting VICI. Unless I set up your spin in a VM or another machine I would have to reinstall all my stuff that was not part of your spin.

In a previous thread "Packaging a Conglomeration" I which had a somewhat similar requirement, I came to the conclusion that some form of installation script would be a better solution.

I would envisage a script that walked the user through installing the software and then applying configurations that you consider useful with plenty of guidance allowing the user to make their own adjustments.
Old 19th February 2017, 09:59 AM
flyingdutchman Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Hi Leslie,

I think what you need to make is a post install script similar to Easylife (https://easylifeproject.org/).
(or what Dangermouse's Autoten used to be)

You can make such a script using any 'xdialog' type of thing such as Zenity.
Old 19th February 2017, 02:41 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocratato View Post
While I can see that a spin is an excellent way to set up a machine for some dedicated purpose - such as one for multimedia editing, or security research, I am not so sure that is works for something like an "authors work bench" where the tasks are in addition to other things that the user may be interested in.

For example, say I wanted to use it for documenting VICI. Unless I set up your spin in a VM or another machine I would have to reinstall all my stuff that was not part of your spin.

In a previous thread "Packaging a Conglomeration" I which had a somewhat similar requirement, I came to the conclusion that some form of installation script would be a better solution.

I would envisage a script that walked the user through installing the software and then applying configurations that you consider useful with plenty of guidance allowing the user to make their own adjustments.
Ocratato,
I was helping an Italian author to produce a manual. I did some editing for him. He wrote an explanation of what he uses to produce a book/manual. He used Fedora, and FOSS tools. We wrote about creating that kind of spin/Remix. Fedora has spins for security, games, ARM, Engineering, Networking, and for XFE, KDE, MATE, etc. But nothing geared to a skill.

Why can't we produce a Writer's Spin, and a "Small business Spin"? I want to promote Fedora for businesses consisting of 2 or 3 man shops. Some spins come to mind
Writer
Garage / Hair Salon / Landlord
Dentist / Doctor / Veterinarian
Club membership
Municipal (road, sewer, streetlight, waterworks) repairs, inventory, ...

Yes, each spin is special purpose, but perhaps the lot could be provided by a single spin and a set of rpm groups. (sudo dnf groupinstall writer)

Old 19th February 2017, 02:48 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamedotc View Post
If all you want to make is an ISO, why not try this?

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_t...SO_for_testing

I have tried this a long time ago and remember that it worked at that time.

Of course, if you want to include custom repos, you would need to enable these in mock config file.
Hi Mithrandir

The reference you provided is what I followed. Along the way, there was a large amount of downloads and then somewhere, a tight loop was entered and the system powered itself off on overtemp. I know that there is no dust in the cooling system, and with winter here in Montreal, I reran the job outdoors in 0° temperature.
Same crash. My laptop is an I3 system, never crashes with heavy cpu use (compiles, codec conversion stuff, etc). The laptop has 4 gigs ram.

will retry one more time.

Last edited by lsatenstein; 28th February 2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old 20th February 2017, 12:46 AM
ocratato Online

linuxfirefox

I can see how a spin would be ideal for a business system, or a club. In these cases the contents of the spin would form most, if not all, of what would be on the machine (apart from the data, of course).

However, in the case of a writer I can see two scenarios. In the first an author is writing a novel or a play, or screen play - in this case the spin would also work quite well. The second scenario is for writing documentation for something else - such as a manual for Fedora, or Debian, or some piece of software. How can I run the writer's work bench and the thing I am writing about at the same time?

I would counsel against thinking about a business system for now - that could quickly grow into something humongous - better to concentrate on the writing problem.
Old 20th February 2017, 05:01 AM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxchrome

Many small business systems were written using spreadsheets. I ran my consultancy that way. Two sheets for invoicing, full hours accounting, tax management, expense management and contact list. So, a small business system, with scheduled payments, ad-hoc costs and inventoried tools and test equipment on a depreciation schedule were managed via that spread-sheet, all with excel. LibreOffice was not mature enough 7 years ago to use.

A small business needs a little more than what I did for myself.

I think that a small business doing 100-200 transactions per day would be a good target with which to start out.We must think of a single user system.

My volume of transactions for my former business was similar to what I described above.

Old 20th February 2017, 06:20 AM
ocratato Online

linuxfirefox

While I agree that it is probably a viable project to build a system for some aspect of a single small business.
However, as soon as you turn it into a general project you immediately bump into things like tax laws that vary rather widely and change frequently.

I am still trying to understand how I would use a spin for a writer's work bench to do something like documenting VICI.

In order to actually build a spin, and keep it up to date, you will need something that automates the installation and configuration. All I am suggesting is that you make that install script available so that a user can install the programs into an existing system.
Old 20th February 2017, 08:45 AM
hiGuys Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsatenstein View Post
The Author's spin would also support Music composition.
Music notation or audio? If the latter, this is a completely different ballgame as setting up a linux box to work well with audio production is a specialized task unto itself. There was (and perhaps still is) an Ubuntu based distro for music creation (as well I believe a Fedora based spin, although I've never heard of or from anyone using it) but this is far removed from the toolset which would be required to produce written materials.
Old 28th February 2017, 06:21 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I am back for another last comment about spins. I tried with F25 up-to-date. Mithrander gave me a link, with software to install and follow It worked until it went into a loop with recursion.

If we had an ISO that we install, and that iso has basically a directory reserved for repositories,
a directory reserved for groups, and a directory reserved for program names, and then we just respond to a question/answer script to launch the spin/remix buiild, I would be happy. That ISO would be complete, so there would be no crash half way through the build process.

For Fedora 25, I start out with a Remix from Korora live Gnome, and from the Russian Fedora Network Install package and I run a long script file. I am attaching a tar file Build.tar that I use for almost all my Fedora versions (23 24 25 )

If you can improve it, please do so and share it. I would also like some constructive criticism. Thats the way things I create improve.
Attached Files
File Type: tar build.tar (5.3 KB, 23 views)

Tags
make, spin, spins