Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th March 2017, 06:48 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
cpu cooler question

I have a ASUS P5Q Motherboard with a Q9650cpu. The fan on the cooler appears to have worn pivots, leading to fan vibration. The CPU temp is around 50C when operating. Ideally, I would like the cpu temp at 45C or less.

I looked at the Amazon site for cpu coolers and there are many varieties, from ones that contact the cpu via heatpipes, to ar and liquid cooled.

The CPU and MB are ddr2 based (circa 2009), I have seen coolers with the fan from $25.00,

Given this Desktop system has never given me problems, would you just look to installing another cooler (new or used), or one that is based on heatpipes. No, I don't want to spend $100.00 because the fan bearings vibrate on startup.

What do you think of my removing the fan, putting a medium weight (sae30 oil) into bearings (bearings not reachable without removing the cooler)?

Anyone got a cooler to recycle?

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 13th March 2017, 07:02 PM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: cpu cooler question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsatenstein View Post
I have a ASUS P5Q Motherboard with a Q9650cpu. The fan on the cooler appears to have worn pivots, leading to fan vibration. The CPU temp is around 50C when operating. Ideally, I would like the cpu temp at 45C or less.

I looked at the Amazon site for cpu coolers and there are many varieties, from ones that contact the cpu via heatpipes, to ar and liquid cooled.

The CPU and MB are ddr2 based (circa 2009), I have seen coolers with the fan from $25.00,

Given this Desktop system has never given me problems, would you just look to installing another cooler (new or used), or one that is based on heatpipes. No, I don't want to spend $100.00 because the fan bearings vibrate on startup.

What do you think of my removing the fan, putting a medium weight (sae30 oil) into bearings (bearings not reachable without removing the cooler)?

Anyone got a cooler to recycle?

I just upgraded a Cooler on my box, settled for a 19$ solution. Your Mobo has the LGA775 Platform, and by looking at amazon I see as most promising:
[ DeepCool 12cm Fan CPU Cooler Heatsink quiet for Intel LGA775/1156/1155 AMD FM2/AM2 2+/AM3 ]

cheap, and will do the job. It will most probably come with pre-installed "thermal paste", which is a gray putty on the bottom of the heatsink. But you need to make sure you clean your cpu very well with a few dry kleenexes before you put the beast on top. Also be careful and study the installation method well before, cuz once the cpu and heatsink touch, it'll be hard to separate, as the putty is really sticky, and if you do mess it up, you'll have to revert to cleaning it all up, and adding your own thermal paste manually.
I would not recommend oiling the old fan.
Old 13th March 2017, 08:46 PM
srakitnican Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Definitely not, such bearing cannot be fixed by lubricant, more so, you could permanently damage MOBO if oil leaks out. Replace the fan.

Edit: Many people never bother to install OEM Intel fan, you could get a good deal for unused one. For the temp issue look at cleaning the dust and replacing thermal paste. There could be also settings in BIOS that controls CPU fan speed to maintain specific one. The lower you set it the noisier it will be. After market cooler can improve efficiency by better cooling at lower fan speed, but why bother of lowering CPU temp in the first place? After market cooler, the beefier ones, have tendency to stress motherboard by its weight/pressure, also.

50C seems alright since these can go up to 80C or even more before thermal protection kicks in.

Last edited by srakitnican; 13th March 2017 at 09:03 PM.
Old 14th March 2017, 12:53 AM
SomeDamFool Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I've tried oiling cpu fans a couple of times, you have to make sure the seal still sticks over the end of the shaft or even a tiny amount of oil will leak out. Then it only quiets it for a short time. If there is wear and play in the shaft and/or bushing oil is only a temporary fix and doesn't last long, and new fans are pretty cheap.
Old 14th March 2017, 02:34 AM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Thanks to all, I ordered a replacement cooler from the local store similar to the deal that Bobx obtained. -- $20+taxes. Its rated at 70watts dissipation.

I could not tell if the fan is PWM managed, but if it does the job, fine.

The store catalogue also showed some heat pipe coolers for $5.00 more. On these, the fan is vertical. Those are rated at 100watts dissipation.. The concern I have with vertical fans is in orienting the direction of air flow and that fan and fins are single point anchored to the MB..

Has anyone ever installed a heat-pipe cooler fan? Was the fan/airflow noisy? Was it worth installing it versus the flat vpu cooler airflow?

Old 14th March 2017, 03:15 AM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Has anyone ever installed a heat-pipe cooler fan? Was the fan/airflow noisy? Was it worth installing it versus the flat vpu cooler airflow?
Yes, when I built my most recent desktop PC system. I used a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus on a socket 1155 system. It comes with one 120cm fan, but can accomodate a second 120cm mounted on the other side. The fans themselves are easy to remove/install on the cooler itself. Not much noise at all with those larger size fans.

One thing to be very mindfull of with using those "tall" heatpipe style coolers is, well, the overall height. You need to read the physical specs carefully (size) to be sure your case has enough room inside to accomodate the cooler. I had about 3/4" to spare inside my Cooler Master Half case.
Old 14th March 2017, 10:14 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

removal of old thermal interface material requires more than a couple of dry kleenex. there will be a greasy residue left behind which will compromise whatever new material is applied to the CPU heat spreading plate. use rubbing alcohol or commercial thermal interface cleaner with a lint free cloth. kleenex leaves behind paper lint. ground coffee machine filters are ideal if you have some. make sure it is thoroughly cleaned off and dry before applying any new paste or pad attached to the new cooler.

also regarding vertical heatpipe coolers, they are orientated so that the fans expel air to the rear of the case normally so you also need an exhaust fan to vent the hot air so it doesn't circulate round the case again. regarding clearances, you have to check the height of any RAM and mosfet around the cpu socket to make sure there is enough clearance for heatpipes.

most also need a supporting backplate fixed under the mainboard. a traditional horizontal cooler with push pins is far easier to retrofit. You can get those with heatpipes as well. I have used scythe before and also rate noctua.

regarding fan noise, it depends on the design of the cooler fins as well as what fan is fitted. most are much quieter than the stock intel unit. the larger the fan, normally the lower the rpm required. db ratings are a guide, noise frequency plays more of a factor with fan noise.
Old 14th March 2017, 03:57 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorachrome

Antiki

Thanks for the info re paste. The local retailer does not stock coolers so its on order. He says it will be a few days, probably when he gets his next delivery. And the desktop that I am describing is the own where a few months back, I upgraded the CPU from E7300 to the current Q9650. At that time my experience with the stock cooler was that I had to physically remove the mother board from the case in order to do the proper alignment of the cooler posts into the motherboard. The plastic spreader tips were accustomed to being spread wide and so, had to be coaxed into the mounting holes before pressing the clamper posts.

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

Antiki

Thanks for the info re paste. The local retailer does not stock coolers so its on order. He says it will be a few days, probably when he gets his next delivery. And the desktop that I am describing is the own where a few months back, I upgraded the CPU from E7300 to the current Q9650. At that time my experience with the stock cooler was that I had to physically remove the mother board from the case in order to do the proper alignment of the cooler posts into the motherboard. The plastic spreader tips were accustomed to being spread wide and so, had to be coaxed into the mounting holes before pressing the clamper posts.

Old 14th March 2017, 04:09 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

yes, those push pins can be a nuisance for second application. a brand new unit should be no problem at all and won't require you to remove the motherboard to align them properly. when you've installed it, monitor the core temperatures for a few days to make sure it is secure and the thermal interface has created a proper bond between the two metal surfaces.

still saving for that ryzen? the 1700X looks fantastic value

Tags
cooler, cpu, question