Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th September 2006, 12:22 AM
Melio Offline

IMAP w/ Google Gmail and Yahoo! Mail.

I'v been considering the following.

Gmail is a Pop3 accessable mail server that's free

Yahoo! is pop3 accessable if you pay for it,

and other webmail systems out there are particularly pop3 accessable provided they are pay or free.

BUT pop3 as a standard is client based - and each user in a system would then have to configure the clients to connect them .. as well as do userid/passwords for each individual pop3 account which is fine..

but what if I hosted an IMAP server, then configured somehow the IMAP server to get the mail from pop3 servers and store it on the server, all I gotta do is configure a simple imap connection to that server and get my mail account access there.

Reason : because I can store every peice of mail on the server, the server would periodicly handle all my downloads of email, and sendmail would push any mail out to any mx .. from that server.

Now why?

well it's a hell of a lot less configuration once it's done and good.. I can walk away
if my fedora box dies, gets upgraded, I don't have to worry about anything but simple imap server configuration .. done.

This is kinda what I would like, can it be done?
video[ MSI NX8600GT Twin Turbo GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card (Dual Optiquest Q20WB LCD wide Screen Monitors ]
Linux Registered User #391755
Smolt Profile
Old 26th September 2006, 04:34 AM
Jman Offline

I have not found a suitable POP to IMAP gateway yet. I've looked.

I do like IMAP accounts, even web based Gmail, more than POP.

Possibly you could get a new IMAP account somewhere and forward all messages there.
Old 26th September 2006, 05:12 AM
brunson Offline

Install an IMAP server like dovcot, cyrus-imapd, etc and use fetchmail to retrieve your email from the other providers.
Registered Linux User #4837
411th in line to get sued by Micro$oft
Quote:
Basically, to learn Unix you learn to understand and apply a small set of key ideas and achieve expertise by expanding both the set of ideas and your ability to apply them - Paul Murphy

Tags
gmail, google, imap, mail, w or, yahoo