Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st July 2009, 10:46 PM
CharlieGlenn Offline

Which Version Of Fedora 11 To Install?

I'm a bit confused about which version I should install on my computer. In 2001 I built the computer I'm using now. It has an AMD Athlon 1.2 GHZ CPU so it's an IBM compatible computer.

I burned the i686 Live CD of Fedora 11. It does load on my computer but it takes about 25 minutes to get into the desktop. The 386 version has no Live CD or I would have burned the 386 version instead. I've had no problems using the 386 version of other linux distros on my computer and I doubt I'd have any problems using the 386 version of Fedora 11 on my computer.

I don't understand what an i686 is. Is it like a 386 or a 586? Is it for a 64 bit CPU or is it for a late model 32 bit CPU?

So, which version should I run on my computer? The i686 or the 386 version? Thanks for any help.
Old 1st July 2009, 11:14 PM
pete_1967

Yours is i686, your problem is more likely related to amount of RAM, CD ROM speed and/ or network connection you have.

When you boot and the progress bar shows up, hit 'Esc' and you can watch boot process. Pay attention on where it hangs.
Old 2nd July 2009, 12:42 AM
CharlieGlenn Offline

Hi pete 1967 thanks for the help. I suppose it could be the RAM. I have only 256 megs of RAM. I have a 20X DVD burner and an ISDN internet connection.

I'll pop some pop corn and watch the text go by.
Old 2nd July 2009, 03:32 AM
CharlieGlenn Offline

Ok, it looks like the problem is I don't have enough RAM. I think it's time for me to buy a new motherboard, 64 bit dual processor and DDR2 memory.

Only 2 distros I like still work with my ancient ATI card at 1280 x 1024 and I'm still using PATA hard drives.
Old 2nd July 2009, 03:34 AM
Demz

i'd use the LiveCD to test it on your hardware first, you can install from LiveCD anyway but i would wait for F12, F11 just has to many problems with it
Old 2nd July 2009, 03:49 AM
CharlieGlenn Offline

Hi DEMZ, I did use the Live CD of Fedora 11 i686 to test my hardware. I guess all the new versions of every disrto have problems. With Ubuntu I won't install their .04 version anymore. I wait for the .10 version.
Old 2nd July 2009, 03:56 AM
Demz

i dunno how stable 9.10 will be if there gonna use Grub2 as default,
Old 2nd July 2009, 06:02 AM
CharlieGlenn Offline

Why? What's wrong with GRUB 2? Ever get the feeling some distros move too fast?

Not as slow as Debian but not as fast as Ubuntu. That sounds just about right.
Old 2nd July 2009, 10:11 AM
Demz

Grub2 isnt exactly ready prime time, kinda why i dont think why Fedora will use it in F12, it still needs work done to it, i thiink there looking to use Grub2 in F13 . i think Debain maybe using Grub2 in Squeeze release im not sure, but if Ubuntu uses Grub2 in 9.10 Mint8 will use it
Old 2nd July 2009, 10:16 AM
markkuk Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGlenn View Post
I don't understand what an i686 is. Is it like a 386 or a 586? Is it for a 64 bit CPU or is it for a late model 32 bit CPU?
See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_P...rchitecture%29
Old 2nd July 2009, 12:38 PM
RalphCC Offline

Hardware retention

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGlenn View Post
Ok, it looks like the problem is I don't have enough RAM. I think it's time for me to buy a new motherboard, 64 bit dual processor and DDR2 memory.

Only 2 distros I like still work with my ancient ATI card at 1280 x 1024 and I'm still using PATA hard drives.
Yout PATA disks will be fine and also your ATI card on a new motherboard. I am still using similar for F11 & more than two linux dists work if you check the display config.
Old 2nd July 2009, 08:58 PM
CharlieGlenn Offline

DEMZ may be by November 3 2009, which is when Fedora 12 will be released, Grub2 will be working ok. I'm still trying to figure out how to use PulseAudio. I don't mind being on the cutting edge as long as I don't need a band-aid.

markkuk thanks for the link. Now I understand what the difference is.

RalphCC I have no idea how to check a display config. I'm one of those point-and-click kind of people. I've been using Linux for 2 years now and if you asked me how to do this or that at the CL I have no idea.

I know PCLOS and Puppy are still using the old ATI driver because I've been using them since last year. I have the latest versions of both but it was a shock when Ubuntu dropped support for the old driver I need.

I've tried most of the distros in the top 30 at DistroWatch. Right now I'm using PCLOS Gnome 2009.1 for GIMP because I can do 1280 x 1024 and that's a great resolution for computer art. On a second hard drive I'm using Ubuntu Studio 9.04 because it has an rt kernel. I need an rt kernel for writing music with Rosegarden and other midi software. PCLOS doesn't have an rt kernel for 2009 yet.

I don't know if Fedora has an rt kernel or if it can do the 1280 x 1024 res. In 2 years I've never found just one distro that can do all the things I need to do. Linux seems to still be more business oriented. People do more with computers then just type letters or use spreadsheets.
Old 3rd July 2009, 11:03 AM
RalphCC Offline

Config

All I was suggexting was look at system>admin>display and system>pref etc from the top bar. You should be able to set the display dimensions you want. I just call it config out of habit rather than need, so it should be like windows. I have a similar ATI card on this machine and I have been using a lower res. so just try it.
I didn't know what the basis of liking particular versions was.

Tags
fedora, install, version