Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th July 2013, 01:19 AM
rich52 Offline

linuxchrome
KDE vs Gnome F19 (Hplip printer issues?)

I've got KDE F19 installed and ran and installed all of the Hplip files and even tested the setup and it stated all files are present and OK. . . but it still won't communicate with the printer. I installed Gnome and run the same software I installed and the printer works fine. . . What's going on here. Both KDE and Gnome are both installed on the hard drive with all of the software. In one the printer works and in the other it doesn't. . . I switch the OS shells on the fly in the boot up config menu when you log in with name and password. . .

You'd think it would work with both wouldn't you? ? ? Dunno. . . .

Rich
Old 7th July 2013, 02:35 AM
Finalzone Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox
Re: KDE vs Gnome F19 (Hplip printer issues?)

Could you specify the model of your printer? Is it wired or wireless?
I haven't encountered an issue with my HP Photosmart eStation. The printer setup on Gnome Setting successfully detected the wireless printer and installed the driver. Only quirk is with wireless built-in scanner.
Old 7th July 2013, 02:38 AM
Spaghetti Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Hi Rich,

my name's Rich too.

This is not a solution, but could be relevant to your situation. I have an hp 3510 printer, and distrohop too much. One thing i've learned is the only way to get my printer/scanner configured and working, regardless of distro/DE, is to use system-config-printer with a sufficient version of hplip.

reg Finalzone's scanner issue, I bet you five fake dollars that using system-config-printer to add the machine will result in a working scanner (based on my personal experience.)
Old 7th July 2013, 02:47 AM
Finalzone Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Yes, system-config-printer does the trick when selecting the right driver for the wireless scanner. Printer setting on Gnome Shell needs more polish there.
Old 7th July 2013, 03:18 AM
rich52 Offline

linuxchrome

I'm using a HP Laserjet P1006 printer which is connected via USB port.

Rich
Old 7th July 2013, 04:45 AM
Finalzone Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Thank you. You mean the issue is the printer runs fine on KDE but not on Gnome? Have you tried to add the printer in Gnome Setting? It appears to be an odd issue.
Old 7th July 2013, 04:52 AM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome

It's the other way around, it works in Gnome and not KDE. This happens on occasion with Fedora, as it's still pretty tied in with Gnome. I do remember at one point, for example, hplip was missing a dependency that Gnome provided and the packager didn't realize it--quickly fixed, once a bug was filed.

HOWEVER--I've found that Fedora's hplip can be buggy--there have been several times where it wouldn't work for me, but installing the source from hplipopensource.com would work. (This hasn't been the case in the last few releases, however, at least for me.)

My guess is that something is missing in KDE. There's probably something in Gnome's startup scripts that is missing in KDE's startup scripts, however, not using either, I have no idea what it is. Unlike some others here, however, I've found that system-config-printer has been less reliable for me than hplip's hp-setup.
Old 7th July 2013, 05:25 AM
rich52 Offline

linuxubuntuchrome

The problem seems to me to be with KDE. As I've stated earlier my printer works fine in Gnome. I also tried the hplipopensource.com hplip file and installed it and checked all of the installed packages. It indicated everything was OK and installed properly but my printer kept giving me communication errors. (I've also resetted, unplugged the usb cable, turned off and on the printer to clear it's buffer etc. but nothing worked. So I'm now running Gnome instead of KDE on the desktop system because the printer works in Gnome. . . I can only hope it will be fixed some day in the near future. . . . just have to wait and see. . .

rich

Tags
f19, gnme, hplip, issues, kde, printer