Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 31st January 2016, 06:53 AM
NoxiousWeed Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Dell Precision 5510 and F23+

Quote:
Also, did You buy 950 PRO SSD?
Yeah, pretty sure that's the one. It's been quite responsive.

Quote:
Typce-C 20 or 40...Which one do You have?
Eh, not sure. You can probably figure that out from Dell's product site.

Quote:
Did You order a laptop without Bluetooth or did You disable it in BIOS?
It has bluetooth and it appears to work. I'll admit that I'm not a heavy BT user though, so I can't attest to its stability.

Quote:
Optimus, windows....How to use Intel HD only?
Optimus is the technology that figures out when to use Intel and when to use the discreet NVIDIA chip. Windows uses the technology with no problems at all but linux is more problematic. No bios changes needed.

Something to note: if you're going to have a mixed boot laptop, install Fedora FIRST. Windows' EFI boot partition is f'd up.
Old 4th February 2016, 06:51 PM
tcostasouza Offline

linuxchrome

Hi,

I'm planning to buy a Dell Precision 5510. You're stating that there is no independent home/pgup/pgdown/end buttons. But this is not true! See the screenshots here. Go to the keyboard screenshot and you'll see the independent buttons, mixed with arrows keys, just as a regular dell notebook!

Regards
Old 5th May 2016, 07:08 PM
bvogel Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoxiousWeed View Post
Sorry everyone for the delay.

Fedora 23's starting kernel 4.2.* is unstable on this machine - it randomly locks up.
I'm using raw-hide kernel 4.4.0-1 and the laptop is fully functional as far as I can tell, including the touch screen. Kernel 4.3 should be perfect as well. It's the first kernel version with "production" SkyLake support.

NVIDIA: I consider Optimus to be more trouble than it's worth, so I only use Intel HD. I did try bumblebee for a bit and it worked perfectly fine - there were no tricks. I just followed the install guide: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bumblebee

Thunderbolt works fine, the touchpad works great, wireless controller has no problems.

Programs: firefox, lots of dev stuff like IntelliJ and Slack. VirtualBox. No laptop specific hacks needed, just installed as normal.

The Delete and Insert buttons are both there, thankfully.
Thanks for the great walkthrough. This worked for me on the new Precision 5510. The trick was getting it to stay without freezing on the old Kernel long enough to update to 4.4. Once I was on 4.4 everything ran just fine.

I have not needed to blacklist the noveau driver again, and have had no freeze-ups after using for a few hours.
Old 5th May 2016, 08:36 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Another trick for people considering a Precision 5510 that needs the newer kernels. Download and use a live respin ISO containing the newer kernels. that way you don't risk the freeze while getting set up
Old 3rd August 2016, 12:42 AM
NoxiousWeed Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

UPDATE: just installed FC24 in UEFI mode and there are no tricks required. The laptop is operating pretty well, actually.
Old 9th August 2016, 10:18 PM
bp787 Offline

windows_98_nt_2000mozilla

I am currently running RHEL 7.2 on the m5510 with a 1tb NMVe pcie ssd, 4k touch display!

I followed some of the items in this thread to help with it, including disabling the secure boot items.

I had to use a program on windows called rufus to make a bootable USB. when I used dd on Linux or live-usb-creator, I had nothing but issues. With dd, I kept getting a package error about 75% of the way through the install. have to troubleshoot that later.

had to use nouveau.modeset=0 when booting/installing as previously listed.

used the gnome tweak tool to adjust window dpi and font size and tweaked DPI settings in firefox.

What I need help with:
None of the brightness controls/dell function keys are working. Do they work in F24/23? Ubuntu? What should I be looking for?

thanks!
Old 4th December 2016, 10:03 PM
prudy Offline

unknownfirefox

Can anyone confirm this laptop working with external 4k display at minimum 60Hz connected via 'usb-c to displayport' adapter. I am not talking about dell TB15 station nor any other 'thunderbolt3 to displayport' adapter. This is about using usb-c adapter connected to dell 5510 or xps 15.
Old 4th December 2016, 11:43 PM
ras47 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Your wireless network card looks to be an Intel card. That's good. I've been fighting with a Broadcom card on a Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro with Fedora 25 and finally solved it by swapping out the internal card for an Intel one. The Intel card worked right away - no configuring necessary, no drivers to download.

To ANYONE putting Fedora on a laptop - avoid Broadcom wireless network cards. Specifically the BCM4352 model. There are no drivers for it and Broadcom is unwilling to allow third party drivers. Since the Dell you're looking at has an Intel card already you should be good to go right out of the box.
Old 16th March 2017, 04:57 AM
Karthik Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudy View Post
Can anyone confirm this laptop working with external 4k display at minimum 60Hz connected via 'usb-c to displayport' adapter. I am not talking about dell TB15 station nor any other 'thunderbolt3 to displayport' adapter. This is about using usb-c adapter connected to dell 5510 or xps 15.
Confirmed, have it working on Fedora 25 with a LG 4K display at 60Hz using a usb-c to displayport adapter. Unfortunately, not with HDMI though, I seem to be limited to 30Hz on HDMI (even tried with usb-c to hdmi adapters) - the Dell DA-200 usb-c to hdmi adapter is a piece of junk, btw).

Tags
5510, dell, f23, precision