Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th February 2016, 05:41 AM
jbuckley2004 Online

linuxfedorafirefox
Alsamixer not remembering settings?

Due to a hard drive failure, I recently had to re-install F23, KDE spin on my desktop. In doing so I've been tripping over the same problem with Alsamixer that I had initially - I have no sound through my headphones after a reboot.

So I go to Alsamixer, use the good ol' F6 key to make sure the right sound device (the motherboard's built in sound and not the camera I have (had) mounted on my monitor), then F5 to find the sound to my headphones is muted at boot. So I un-mute it, enjoy my music, powerdown for the evening, rinse and repeat.

Originally, back in Nov. when F23 was first introduced, I noticed the same thing. But then it stopped happening (sound came up with me headphones un-muted) after, oh, about 3 days. Don't know why. Thought it might be some other update I hadn't noticed, but it was nothing intentional on my part.

But this time, after 5 days I'm still finding Alsamixer has forgotten the settings. I've always brought down Alsamixer using the escape key, so I'm I terminating it improperly? Is there some other magic incantation that I'm missing? Is it the devil-demon-dogs in my computer?

Thanks.
Old 14th February 2016, 02:43 PM
srakitnican Online

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Alsamixer not remembering settings?

A little quote from Ubuntu wiki:

Quote:
A caveat here: When you mute or unmute something, pulseaudio might pick it up and mute and unmute other controls, as well as PulseAudio's main mute.

If you discover that you need to do something special here to make your sound work, it is likely a bug. Please report a bug using the "ubuntu-bug audio" command. Thanks!
So your problem is probably pulseaudio not storing sound settings, you could make it work by doing hackish things like unmuting your device with a startup script, but right thing do would be to fix pulseaudio.

EDIT: Also, there is a pulseaudio confifuration file although I don't think file from post is the right file to edit becuse it will be overwritten on updates. See /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output.conf.common for directives.

Last edited by srakitnican; 14th February 2016 at 03:08 PM.
Old 14th February 2016, 03:04 PM
jbuckley2004 Online

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Alsamixer not remembering settings?

Really! Yeah, because the problem seemed to "go away" on it's own, I suspect a bug somewhere. Thanks for this info., SemiRocket.

Tags
alsamixer, remembering, settings