Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th May 2016, 12:06 PM
TruboXL Offline

linuxfirefox
Adwaita theme in MATE Compiz

Ok, before I go around screaming at Fedora Bugzilla or MATE Github, I need to know whether you guys are having the same problem...

I go pick the Adwaita theme in MATE Compiz spin and...

Quote:
This theme will not look as intended because the required window manager theme 'Adwaita' is not installed.
Going further inside only found Window Border part of Adwaita is marked missing...
Control, icons and cursor part of Adwaita are installed and working...

I have been searching and installing all sorts of packages like gnome-themes-standard etc which already preinstalled...

But nothing works... Help?

Windows 10, Fedora MATE / Cinnamon

Last edited by TruboXL; 15th May 2016 at 12:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old 15th May 2016, 02:26 PM
topiwala Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Adwaita theme in MATE Compiz

I used bluebird metacity theme. It goes fine with adwaita.
Old 15th May 2016, 03:19 PM
Leigh Scott

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruboXL View Post
Ok, before I go around screaming at Fedora Bugzilla or MATE Github, I need to know whether you guys are having the same problem...

Going further inside only found Window Border part of Adwaita is marked missing...

I have been searching and installing all sorts of packages like gnome-themes-standard etc which already preinstalled...

This should enable adwaita fallback

Code:
su
mkdir -p /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/metacity-1/
echo native >> /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/metacity-1/adwaita.txt
Then enable it in theme manager
Old 15th May 2016, 05:30 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

Quote:

select Adwaita, then click customise. change the window border to anaconda. then click to save the theme and give it the name Adwaita.
Old 15th May 2016, 05:41 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Selecting Adwaita?! Deliberately?! Willingly?! <....>

Oh, my! <....>

<....>
Old 15th May 2016, 05:48 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

Personally Adwaita is not something I enjoy having to look at during anaconda tasks. However, since anaconda visual elements rely on that particular theme fairly rigidly I tolerate it.

It's a means to an end but I guess each to their own...
Old 15th May 2016, 06:57 PM
TruboXL Offline

linuxfirefox
Solution?

Hello and thanks everyone for your answers and opinions...
Btw I am a fan of TraditionalOK, Glossy and WinMe (window border)
But that Adwaita theme error really gets my nerves...

Especially thanks to Leigh Scott, though your solution doesn't work (dunno where you got that, google no help) but it does lead me to something...

Apparently GNOME idiots "fully" ditched Metacity support for Adwaita theme in gnome-themes-standard because:
Quote:
commit 53ee6e886c64fb704030a743dc920d0f02771571
Author: Florian Müllner <fmuellner@gnome.org>
Date: Tue Dec 23 00:09:03 2014 +0100

Drop metacity theme

Mutter now uses the GTK+ theme to style window decorations, so drop the now unused WM theme.

"Fully" because there are previous attempts to remove these files progressively with newer versions (dunno how they differ and relationship between the two yet)...
Code:
/usr/share/themes/Adwaita/metacity-1/metacity-theme-2.xml
/usr/share/themes/Adwaita/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml
Now that all that is gone missing, this leads to Marco, Compiz, etc WM reporting...
Quote:
Window manager warning: Failed to load theme "Adwaita": Failed to find a valid file for theme Adwaita
This theme will not look as intended because the required window manager theme 'Adwaita' is not installed.
I guess I should file a report to Bugzilla after all then... Mark as solved?

Old 15th May 2016, 07:06 PM
Leigh Scott

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Solution?

Quote:

Especially thanks to Leigh Scott, though your solution doesn't work (dunno where you got that, google no help) but it does lead me to something...
A dev from the Mageia cinnamon team gave it to me, the hack (probably gtk3 only) works fine for cinnamon-settings.

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/r...f037d26decfe1b
Old 15th May 2016, 08:21 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome
Re: Solution?

No problem, did you try what I suggested though? because that will give you a working adwaita theme.
Old 15th May 2016, 08:42 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

also, the window borders may be slightly wrong but you could install greybird and set that instead of anaconda in the customise options for window borders.
Old 15th May 2016, 09:18 PM
raveit65 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

This is a problem by adwaita itself.
Adwaita themes does not ship anymore a metacity theme since a long time because their devs don't care about how their theme looks in other desktops.
mate-appearance-properties needs a gtk-theme, a icon theme and a metacity theme, otherwise you see that warning.
If you think this is a bug than file out a report against gtk+ or gnome-theme-standard and ask them to add a metacity theme verson 1 or 2 back.
Or download metacity WM from https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co...ome-flashback/
Those dev had added a /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/metacity-1/metacity-theme-2.xml .
Old 16th May 2016, 06:36 AM
topiwala Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Adwaita themes does not ship anymore a metacity theme since a long time because their devs don't care about how their theme looks in other desktops.
It would be fair if other people stop cooperating with Gnome people. A reason i am running away from Gnome.

Quote:
If you think this is a bug than file out a report against gtk+ or gnome-theme-standard and ask them to add a metacity theme verson 1 or 2 back.
In the hope that they will not mark it WONT FIX. Filing bugs for Gnome is a waste of time. I advise everyone against using Gnome. I have changed all my machines from Gnome to either MATE or XFCE or KDE or Cinnamon.
Old 16th May 2016, 11:46 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by topiwala View Post
It would be fair if other people stop cooperating with Gnome people. A reason i am running away from Gnome.

In the hope that they will not mark it WONT FIX. Filing bugs for Gnome is a waste of time. I advise everyone against using Gnome. I have changed all my machines from Gnome to either MATE or XFCE or KDE or Cinnamon.
Whereas I agree with a lot of this, (I have long since kicked Gnome to the curb) it is important to remember that the biggest percentage of Gnome developers and users are volunteers. I do a lot of work on themeing and polishing e16, because I use and enjoy it. I welcome others to partake of my labors, and perhaps add their own. That does not, however mean I am willing to create an Adwaita-like theme interface for it just because a current or former Gnome user wants one. If someone gets a bit cranky whilst asking for something of that nature, I am very likely to either mark it "WONT FIX" or tell them, (in the nicest way possible - maybe) that,
Quote:
"The open source world is an open source world. If you really want it that bloody ugly ... you can do it yourself."
And ... I would be completely justified in doing so. My personal pet project may be an ugly baby in all respects, but it's essentially my ugly baby. If you don't like looking at it, you are absolutely free to go accumulate your own.

The problem comes in, when my ugly whelp/get attempts to sink it's tentacles deep into linux itself and strangle the life out of everyone else's ugly baby. That's when and where my dissent/disgust/disapproval of the Gnome project/infection rises to the surface.
Old 16th May 2016, 12:55 PM
joncr Offline

linuxchrome

I think I recall much the same happening back in Gnome 2 days. If you wanted to use a theme that didn't include all the components Gnome 2 wanted, you needed to improvise. I imagine the same thing has always happened, in all environments.

If Gnome supports their Adwaita theme for their project, or KDE supports their Breeze theme for their project, c'est la vie.
Old 17th May 2016, 11:07 AM
TruboXL Offline

linuxfirefox

Fingers crossed, the bug is on...
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1336718

Tags
adwaita, compiz, mate, theme