Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th May 2016, 07:50 PM
topiwala Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Question What are the advantages of using mail software?

What are the advantages of using mail software as compared to web interface? And which one do you prefer and why? The available ones are thunderbird, Kmail, Evolution, Geary, Claws, Seamonkey etc.

I have never used used any, but tried thunderbird and failed to use it. I need info on usage and motives.
Old 25th May 2016, 08:24 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Re: What are the advantages of using mail software?

I use Thunderbird in Windows and Claws for Linux (I tried Claws in windows and couldn't get it to work as well) with IMAP Mail protocol.

This gives the best of both worlds, a local copy of messages if you lose the net connection and direct remote control of mail folders when online.

The key advantages for me are not jumping through multi-factor authentication hoops to get to webmail via the browser (or risking leaving cookies to preserve the login session) and not being bombarded with a screen loaded with adverts and video content. Then you have quick message filtering, automatic mail processing rules which I use and the email client comes out way ahead.
Old 25th May 2016, 08:36 PM
topiwala Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post
This gives the best of both worlds, a local copy of messages if you lose the net connection and direct remote control of mail folders when online.
So if you delete a message from manager the message gets deleted from web too? Or it goes into trash?

Quote:
or risking leaving cookies to preserve the login session
I do that. Is that wrong on personal laptop?

Quote:
Then you have quick message filtering, automatic mail processing rules which I use and the email client comes out way ahead.
Does it have folders of gmail? I have made various folders for my web gmail. Does one gets all those in manager automatically?

How does Thunderbird compare to claws? Which one is better in your opinion? Also does claws have calendar support?
Old 26th May 2016, 01:24 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Mithrandir

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by topiwala View Post
So if you delete a message from manager the message gets deleted from web too? Or it goes into trash?
Depends on your setting. It can be configured either way as I remember.

Quote:

I do that. Is that wrong on personal laptop?
Depends on who you ask and how your system is setup (encrypted HDDs, etc.). I do not like leaving everything logged in on the browser (I do have some stuff that are left logged in).

Quote:

Does it have folders of gmail? I have made various folders for my web gmail. Does one gets all those in manager automatically?
GMAIL does not have folders. But, you can create local folders and it will appear in gmail as "labels". If you have a folder "fedora" (under Inbox) in, say, thunderbird. It will appear on gmail as "INBOX/fedora".

Quote:

How does Thunderbird compare to claws? Which one is better in your opinion? Also does claws have calendar support?
I have used both Thunderbird and claws-mail and prefer Thunderbird. Thunderbird now supports google calendars natively (thunderbird-lightning-gdata package in fedora) - which is certainly a plus.

With claws-mail, I was unable to move emails to folders according to filters before opening the source folder (I think). There was a setting to change this behavior but it had no effect. On the other hand, claws-mail is a lot faster in most cases and if you want to use predominantly text based emails, claws-mail would be perfect. Claws-mail is also a lot more configurable than thunderbird.

The Linux Documentation Project | Fedora Documentation
Old 26th May 2016, 01:40 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

The default behaviour of Thunderbird or claws is to just place messages in Trash and let the mail server's defaults handle any further processing like purging after 30 days etc.

However, both have a Delete option on the right-click menu which does remove the message instead of sending it to Trash. Additionally, trash is emptied if you empty it on the PC.

I can confirm that Thunderbird and claws can read all available folders in IMAP or custom labels in GMail (displayed as folders). you need to enable IMAP in your GMail account settings for it to work. I have stuff from bugzilla and bodhi for example filtering to different folders with my Yahoo! account and the moves are synchronised on the mail servers immediately by both Thunderbird and Claws.

I believe Thunderbird would be better if you need the Calendar. I'm fairly new to Claws (just using it for mail) and haven't explored if there is a Calendar plugin just yet. I use the html plugin at present.

EDIT - for claws to move messages automatically, use processing rules and not filtering.
Old 26th May 2016, 01:45 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Mithrandir

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
EDIT - for claws to move messages automatically, use processing rules and not filtering.
Do not want to hijack the thread so just a quick reply - yes I was using processing rules. Still some weirdness ... (anyway, that's a story for another day).

The Linux Documentation Project | Fedora Documentation
Old 26th May 2016, 04:30 PM
CSchwangler Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I am using Claws Mail connected to my mail provider using IMAP and for me the advantage is that Claws is much faster than the bloated website of my provider. I am organizing my mails in folders and by using IMAP I can simply reuse the existing folder structure. Since I have more than one machine and any of those machines has Claws with IMAP on it, it simply doesn't matter which machine I am using. Any change is visible on the other machine.
Old 26th May 2016, 04:40 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSchwangler View Post
I am using Claws Mail connected to my mail provider using IMAP and for me the advantage is that Claws is much faster than the bloated website of my provider. I am organizing my mails in folders and by using IMAP I can simply reuse the existing folder structure. Since I have more than one machine and any of those machines has Claws with IMAP on it, it simply doesn't matter which machine I am using. Any change is visible on the other machine.
exactly why i do the same
Old 27th May 2016, 03:28 PM
topiwala Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Smile Re: What are the advantages of using mail software?

Quote:
I can confirm that Thunderbird and claws can read all available folders in IMAP or custom labels in GMail (displayed as folders). you need to enable IMAP in your GMail account settings for it to work. I have stuff from bugzilla and bodhi for example filtering to different folders with my Yahoo! account and the moves are synchronised on the mail servers immediately by both Thunderbird and Claws.

That is good to know. I will try using clwas as it is default in mate desktop.
Old 27th May 2016, 03:38 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

I don't know if you ever read this Fedora Magazine article.

To enhance Claws Mail, you may wish to install the claws mail plugins and certainly enable the HTML one if none of the others interest you.

Tags
advantages, mail, software