Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th June 2016, 07:24 AM
pdwyane Offline

windows_7chrome
Best Video Editing Laptop?

I'm planning to replace my laptop (again!!) and since it's Fedora 24 is the updated one, can someone help me or give me recommendation for a video editing laptop where Fedora 24 can work fully without any issues or problem? Should I buy i7 laptops?

Thanks for all who will reply!
Old 8th March 2017, 11:31 AM
Manish1812 Offline

windows_7chrome
Re: Best Video Editing Laptop?

Hi pdwyane,
I am new to this forum and I thought I'd start by helping someone out. I just did a quick google search for you as you're looking for the best video editing laptop. I found number of blog posts that showcased reliable and affordable laptops. Anyways, this post here will certainly help you in case you're still looking for one.
http://bestlaptopsworld.com/best-video-editing-laptops/
Old 8th March 2017, 11:36 AM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

My 0.02$:

Anything with an NVIDIA card, and use the nvidia drivers from rpmfusion. That ASUS ROG looks choice.
And depending on what you actually do, I recommend setting yourself up with an 8gb /ramdisk which you can use as temp space, it's 10x quicker than just using the SSD disk.
Old 8th March 2017, 05:38 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxfirefox

As far as transcoding, processor is the most important. (For example, using ffmpeg to decode and re-encode one format to another) So, get the most robust processor that you can afford. i7's are good. (But make sure it's 8 core, not 4 core.)
Old 9th March 2017, 09:23 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

I don't see how any of the linked pages are relevant or helpful in any form. They don't go into how well the hardware will actually work if at all with Fedora or any other proper Linux OS for that matter (I don't consider Chrome OS a true Linux distribution). If posting replies to the OP with links to 'best notebook' pages at least keep them on topic please.

The best recommendation would be from someone who actually uses Fedora or Linux to edit videos and owns such a notebook.
Old 10th March 2017, 07:59 PM
Finalzone Online
Community Manager

linuxfedorafirefox

I do video editing on 2014 ASUS X550ZE laptop featuring AMD APU A10 7400P Quad Core and Dual Radeon GPU i.e R7 M265DX + R5 M230 for performance per price. It runs on Fedora 25 Design Suite using fully open source radeon driver without an issue on Wayland session. The hybrid radeon runs smoother as each applications can use dedicated graphic card.

Fot this years, I recommend to wait for some time if you are looking to replace the existing laptop because of incoming new Raven Ridge model based on AMD Ryzen GPU in Q3 2017.

Tags
editing, laptop, video