Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th January 2017, 02:53 AM
dannybpng Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
fc23 dolphin .desktop file execution failing

I have a bunch of bash scripts that I want to make available to my coworkers who cannot work at the command line. Dolphin lets you drag and drop files and directories onto .desktop files which pass the file names to my scripts. The names of the desktop files describe the available actions; kind of like a quick and dirty, yet flexible, menu of actions. From a split dolphin window I want to drag and drop files or folders in the left window to .desktop folders in the right window.

It seems that dolphin does not process the Exec key in a .desktop file to the specifications. I want to pass command line arguments to my bash shell scripts via the Exec key string. While running dolphin I drag-and-drop a directory onto the desktop file and it runs the script passing the directory path to the script via the %f (%F) argument. Here is what happens.

The .desktop file with this Exec key works. Up comes a terminal window and the command runs.
Quote:
Exec=slgsync /home/distributions/SaveLongGod %f
This Exec key does not. All that happens is a new entry shows on the Task Panel for several seconds and then goes away. Nothing runs.
Quote:
Exec=slgsync -x /home/distributions/SaveLongGod %f
Here is the full .desktop file content that works
Quote:
[Desktop Entry]
Comment[en_US]=Copy and delete files from the drive to match SLG master
Comment=Copy and delete files from the drive to match SLG master
Exec=slgsync /home/distributions/SaveLongGod %f
GenericName[en_US]=Synchronize SLG to a drive
GenericName=Synchronize SLG to a drive
Icon=vcs-update-required
MimeType=inode/directory;
Name[en_US]=SLG Sync to Drive
Name=SLG Sync to Drive
Path=
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=true
TerminalOptions=\s--noclose
TryExec=
Type=Application
Version=1.0
X-DBUS-ServiceName=
X-DBUS-StartupType=none
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
X-KDE-Username=
I have tried this with other standard Linux commands and end up with the same problem. Without any "-something" argument they work and with any "-something" argument they don't.

I have seen samples of desktop files with Exec command line argument posted on fedoraforum and wonder why theirs work and mine do not. Here is one:
Quote:
Exec=bash -c 'sleep 5 && /usr/local/bin/trackpad-options'
This would not work on my system (even if I had the specified program) as the "-c" throws everything off.

Any ideas as to why this does not work or what I'm doing wrong would be appreciated.

Tags
desktop, dolphin, execution, failing, fc23, file