Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Wibble
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Wibble A place to have a sensible chat, about anything non linux related. Please remember that political and religious topics are not permitted.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd February 2017, 03:49 PM
lsatenstein Online

linuxfedorafirefox
A government wants to have all encryption Security Keys

An article within "Information Management" identified a government thrust against encryption.

There is a movement underway to legislate a right to a government to have access to all security keys (on demand) and algorithms.

The security branches want the right to snoop, to monitor, and to even modify messages.

As I see it, if the government has the rights to the encryption algorithms and host keys, then it will not at all be long before the hackers get the same.

The reason I think it is dangerous for governments to get those items is, , as I see it, that within a very short time, the system that the government uses will be centralized. It will also be compromised and the major interbank inter-governement communications will be in peril. Foreign governments will be able to do hacking.

Currently governments, banks and other financial institutions use encrypted traffic. Banks have a code book, and for a given day, the day's keys are retrieved. The text within the message is check summed, and compared against a codebook representing the sending organization.

Americans have the right to privacy. Does it extend to your messaging, and that includes your financial (bank, insurance, credit card, stuff, purchases, etc). We Canadians do not, as far as I know, have that constitutional right to privacy. We do have legal rights to privacy that a judge can overrule.

I am wondering how it will turn out. Status-quo, or new rules?

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 22nd February 2017, 04:54 PM
beaker_ Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: A government wants to have all encryption Security Keys

Quote:
... We Canadians do not, as far as I know, have that constitutional right to privacy. ...
Shame on you. And Quebec once had the strongest privacy laws within Canada. Only problem is you, as a user, sign your rights ways. email and text for ex., has already been ruled as private. Analogy being you wouldn't expect your boss or police to randomly toss your work desk or mail, why should your email and a pc be any different?

wrt encryption. Is it a horse and pony show to appease the bat-sh1l crazy? Or are they repeating something enough times and hopping it will be taken as fact? You legislate against encryption for your own interest while I sharpen my steganography.

As I see it: a gov't afraid of it's citizens is a sign of a healthy democracy.
Old 22nd February 2017, 05:33 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxubuntuchrome
Re: A government wants to have all encryption Security Keys

And, that said, we are once again clearly into discussions of Politics, for which we close threads and direct you all over to the Social Groups. Have at it over there.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Closed Thread