Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th March 2017, 04:11 PM
ment0s Offline

linuxchrome
Fedora 25 + Xorg + Intel+Noveau

Fedora 25 on Xorg using Ubuntu installer from Displaylink website works nicely on Single graphics. ( Tested on second machine with radeon graphics )

However, on Switchable graphics it turns displays on, you can move mouse cursor over the screens and even drag and drop windows however only cursor is visible on displaylink screens.

I am using Thinkpad P50.
Thinkpad offers switching to discrete graphics or hybrid. Tried on Nvidia ( noveau) with no success. When Noveau driver is loaded after connecting displaylink device Xorg crashes.

Modprobe -r noveau works in a way that Xorg doesn't crash however the symptoms are like above.

I tried Proptiary driver from RPMFusion and surprisingly it works with EVDI however it has drawing problems as there is a "square" below cursor.

Logs attached, noveau module removed, ( screens found and attached, one displays my desktop but it looks like just a screenshot as I can only move my cursor over it. Second display is completely black but still the same ( can move my cursor over it ) The display that is completely black is over HDMI from Thinkpad Pro dock, the display that shows something is connected over dvi.

Below is a Xorg log file when using Intel with noveau module removed.
https://paste.fedoraproject.org/past...YhyRLivL9gydE=

When moving cursor over those displays a journalctl shows this :

evdi: [D] evdi_crtc_cursor_set:238 evdi_crtc_cursor_set unlock
Feb 26 10:08:38 ceres kernel: evdi: [D] evdi_crtc_cursor_set:238 evdi_crtc_cursor_set unlock
Feb 26 10:08:40 ceres kernel: evdi: [D] evdi_crtc_cursor_set:238 evdi_crtc_cursor_set unlock
Feb 26 10:08:40 ceres kernel: evdi: [D] evdi_crtc_cursor_set:238 evdi_crtc_cursor_set unlock
Feb 26 10:08:41 ceres kernel: evdi: [D] evdi_crtc_cursor_set:238 evdi_crtc_cursor_set unlock
Feb 26 10:08:41 ceres kernel: evdi: [D] evdi_crtc_cursor_set:238 evdi_crtc_cursor_set unlock
Feb 26 10:13:12 ceres kernel: evdi: [D] evdi_crtc_cursor_set:238 evdi_crtc_cursor_set unlock
Feb 26 10:13:12 ceres kernel: evdi: [D] evdi_crtc_cursor_set:238 evdi_crtc_cursor_set unlock
Feb 26 10:13:13 ceres kernel: evdi: [D] evdi_crtc_cursor_set:238 evdi_crtc_cursor_set unlock
Feb 26 10:13:13 ceres kernel: evdi: [D] evdi_crtc_cursor_set:238 evdi_crtc_cursor_set unlock
Feb 26 10:13:16 ceres kernel: evdi: [D] evdi_crtc_cursor_set:238 evdi_crtc_cursor_set unlock
Feb 26 10:13:16 ceres kernel: evdi: [D] evdi_crtc_cursor_set:238 evdi_crtc_cursor_set unlock
Feb 26 10:13:17 ceres kernel: evdi: [D] evdi_crtc_cursor_set:238 evdi_crtc_cursor_set unlock

After removing Thinkpad Pro dock :

evdi] ioctl: drop_master error=-1
Feb 26 10:14:38 ceres DisplayLinkManager[8162]: [libevdi] ioctl: drop_master error=-1
Feb 26 10:14:38 ceres DisplayLinkManager[8162]: [libevdi] ioctl: drop_master error=-1

Below is a Xorg log file after crash - Noveau driver loaded, startx works, plug displaylink into USB - CRASH

https://paste.fedoraproject.org/past...YhyRLivL9gydE=

Interestingly, even after I remove displaylink or noveau module it still fails to startx after this crash ! I have to reboot to get it back to startx.
This is a log file http://pastebin.com/aNSHTc0Y

It looks like evdi doesnt remove the virtual displays after unplug ( this doesnt really bother me, I just want to get screens going )

It works nicely on fedora 24 on intel with noveau removed so maybe there is some issue with modesetting on f25 intel ?

GDM is set to ise Xorg solely, tried without gnome with pure X and openbox. Its still the same. I might have tried literally every combination I possibly could. I am assuming there is no way to go F25 but keep graphic drivers and mods from f24 ? O only really need F25 for new gnome

Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 09:37 AM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Fedora 25 + Xorg + Intel+Noveau

Soooo.... trying to understand your machine, you have both, and Intel Video card, and an Radeon correct ?
And you are trying to use both on the same machine, sharing them on your Desktop ?
Old 8th March 2017, 09:39 AM
ment0s Offline

linuxchrome

Hi, I want to use single graphics, the problem is that id dosnt work on either of them
Old 8th March 2017, 09:51 AM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ment0s View Post
Hi, I want to use single graphics, the problem is that id dosnt work on either of them
Can you disable one of the cards in your BIOS ? And let Linux be forced to just talk to one card.
I have a Radeon on-board, and an Nvidia PCiE, and I had to disable my Radeon (cuz it only has one HDMI +VGA) , by telling the BIOS to "load the PCiE card" first.
Old 8th March 2017, 09:53 AM
ment0s Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobx001 View Post
Can you disable one of the cards in your BIOS ? And let Linux be forced to just talk to one card.
I can yes, I can disable Intel and Enable Noveaeu ( nvidia ) but that doesnt work either as Noveau drive crashes when using evdi.

Basically Guys from Fedora have done these "Discrete Graphics" improvements in F25. I think they might have broke the evdi.
Old 8th March 2017, 10:11 AM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
I can yes, I can disable Intel and Enable Noveaeu ( nvidia ) but that doesnt work either as Noveau drive crashes when using evdi.

Basically Guys from Fedora have done these "Discrete Graphics" improvements in F25. I think they might have broke the evdi.

Well, then , I recomment you enable rpmfusion.org on your system, and download the xorg-nvidia drivers, which are usually at the same level as the proprietary NVIDIA drivers, but very easy to upgrade, etc, as they carry through any dnf upgrade without a hitch.

I disabled by nouveau by doing:
edit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
blacklist nouveau

then I changed grub to include "nouveau.modeset=0 rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau" in the /boot/vmlinuz
(it's become complicated to do this actually, used to be very simple, but I guess the grub guys went berserk)

then I did
yum install dkms kernel-devel gcc kmod-nvidia nvidia-texture-tools xorg-x11-drv-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-kmodsrc akmod-nvidia

reboot.

Once it comes back, you will notice that the first time it will take a LOONG time to show you the login screen (you will think something is broken, but it isn't, just wait), that is cuz the akmod is compiling its new kernel module. After that, logins will be superquick as expected.

Then I guess you can do the same for intel graphics, by blacklisting nouveau, but I haven't done that, so I dunno which drivers you need for Intel.
Old 8th March 2017, 10:13 AM
ment0s Offline

linuxchrome

That's all fine but as I've mentioned in first post, I have already done that.

Proprietary drivers are not supoported by evdi however it actually works with rpmfusion.
On Proprietary drivers its still unusable as there are glitches below cursor when using it.
Old 8th March 2017, 10:37 AM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
That's all fine but as I've mentioned in first post, I have already done that.

Proprietary drivers are not supoported by evdi however it actually works with rpmfusion.
On Proprietary drivers its still unusable as there are glitches below cursor when using it.

So, the NVIDIA rpmfusion drivers work with "EVDI", but not the Intel, and not the Nouveau, correct ?
Old 8th March 2017, 11:05 AM
ment0s Offline

linuxchrome

yes however the evdi is not supporting this configuration as well as its glitchy.

On fedora 24
EVDI + Intel driver = Works
EVDI + Noveaeu = Works
EVDI+ RPMFusion Nvidia + Works but glitchy.

On Fedora 25

EVDI + Intel driver = Screens are displaying black wallpaper and you can move mouse over them but you cannot move a windows to it as it only shows the mouse cursor.
EVDi + Noveaeu = Xorg crashes
EVDI+ RPMFusion Nvidia + Works but glitchy.

Last edited by ment0s; 8th March 2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 8th March 2017, 11:11 AM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
yes however the evdi is not supporting this configuration as well as its glitchy.
Allow me to ask you a question, why do you want to use EVDI ? i.e. I've never used it before, what is the purpose ? Reading their home page the purpose is still not clear. I have 2 monitors + my TV connected to my NVIDIA card, and with xrandr I can move them around and everything works perfect.
Old 8th March 2017, 11:13 AM
ment0s Offline

linuxchrome

well, its for USB docking stations, I have a Thinkpad USB Pro dock at work as well as home, I'm taking my laptop with me so I need EVDI, also all monitors at work are going to be replaced with built in displaylink so I really need to get it working. I'm on fedora 24 now but its time to move on to better things from F25 only this is what's stopping me
Old 8th March 2017, 11:32 AM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Well then, allow me to silently walk off this thread as I have no clue what I'm talking about. hehe, maybe the misleading title, the word EVDI was missing from it ....

pretend this never happened. (oh, and BTW, try it with lxdm + Xfce, and see if it makes a difference)

Tags
fedora, intel, noveau, xorg