Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th March 2017, 04:40 AM
SJLPHI Offline

windows_7chrome
Fedora on Lenovo X230T[OpenSUSE Migrator]

Hello,

With Recent elimination of "regular distribution" of openSUSE to only LEAP 42.1 and being forced to Plasma 5 and Gnome 3, I decided to move away from openSUSE altogether.

My current laptop Lenovo T420 is still hogging onto OpenSUSE 13.2 with KDE 4. It will stay that way until I have tested Fedora long enough to trust and like it.

I have an incoming laptop convertible, Lenovo X230T. I will be extensively testing Fedora 25: Cinnamon and KDE. I really like Gnome 1, KDE3 and I can tolerate Gnome 2 and KDE 4. Gnome 3 and Plasma 5 is where I will draw the line(equivalently where I draw the line for Windows >7).

For similar reasons, I am steering clear from Ubuntu, because of their Gnome 3, and less-stable OS overall.

Wit Fedora, I will very much run into many problems, and will request help on this thread.

There are few questions I searched online and could not find definite answers to, I would appreciate some clarification:
1. Is current "Fedora KDE Spin", Fedora 25 with KDE4 or Plasma 5?
-Considering I can find instructions on how to install Plasma 5, I am hoping that by default it is 4.
2. What is the default Fedora Package manager(similar to YAST, zypper, aptitude,apt-get, etc.), and is there a software repository archive available from web-browser(Similar to software.opensuse.org)?
-Has DNF fully replaced YUM by now? I have used CentOS.
3. What is the distinction between the Fedora workstation, and spins?
4. Any pointers to most up-to-date manual/archive?
-I am most interested in the syntax and little things here and there I should be aware of(Codecs, SSD optimization).
5. Are there anything shocking that I should be aware of?
-I have started using Linux Mint Cinnamon 16~17 for 2 years, tried many different distros and ended up with openSUSE 13.1 KDE, and I am now on the move again.
-I have been exposed to linux for over 4 years now.
Old 7th March 2017, 03:11 PM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxchrome
Re: Fedora on Lenovo X230T[OpenSUSE Migrator]

1) plasma-desktop.x86_64 5.8.6-2.fc25 updates
2) dnf is default underlying command line package manager. The GUI frontend depends on the DE you have choosen, but is switchable. You can choose to use /usr/bin/yum-deprecated if you still want yum instead of dnf.
3) Workstation is the Gnome3 DE release. The "spins" offer other DE choices.
4) The fedoraproject has a wiki page choke full of up to date manuals/documentation for all the releases, past and present. There is also the "Guides and How-To's" section on this forum.
5) After 1 year of using Fedora on a regular basis, your eye color changes to bright orange.

P.S. Your google-foo is in need of improvement.
Old 7th March 2017, 05:17 PM
SJLPHI Offline

windows_7chrome

So, Fedora 25 uses Plasma 5, or Kernel 5?
Old 7th March 2017, 07:21 PM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJLPHI View Post
So, Fedora 25 uses Plasma 5, or Kernel 5?
Plasma is the KDE desktop environment. Has nothing to do with the kernel version, which is currently 4.9.13-200.fc25.x86_64 on F25.
Old 7th March 2017, 07:26 PM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTwo View Post
Plasma is the KDE desktop environment. Has nothing to do with the kernel version, which is currently 4.9.13-200.fc25.x86_64 on F25.
I gather "Plasma Desktop" is the name for KDE5 , also known as "kf5" in the package names.
and Yes, it is the one to be found in FC25 if you install it.

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

But I recommend "lxdm" as a display manager, and "Xfce" or "Lxde" as Desktops. For speed/reliability sakes.
Old 7th March 2017, 09:07 PM
SJLPHI Offline

linuxchrome

I thought the later versions of KDE 4 and KDE 5 were called Plasma.

If Fedora25 uses KDE5, I am likely going to give a second look at OpenSUSE LEAP and Fedora25 Cinnamon.
Old 7th March 2017, 11:10 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

If you prefer GNOME 2 to GNOME 3, I'd suggest taking a look at GNOME Classic Mode if you have downloaded the Workstation ISO.

Alternatively, MATE is forked from GNOME 2 and slightly more customisable than GNOME Classic Mode.

Check out the fedora project spins page for all available options though. All spins are official releases for the Project and have the same lifecycle.

Fedora is not a long term support operating system though. Each release is supported for approximately 13 months at present because there are two Fedora releases each year.

It works like this:
Fedora 23 - Became end of life one calender month after the release of Fedora 25
Fedora 24 - Supported until one calendar month after the release of Fedora 26
Fedora 25 - Suppported until one calendar month after the release of Fedora 27
and so on...

If you need something with long term support I'd suggest taking a look at CentOS 6 specifically which is supported until November 2020. It's also RHEL based but follows the longer support lifecycle of RHEL itself. CentOS 6 uses GNOME 2 and KDE 3. CentOS 7 uses GNOME 3 and KDE 4.

Tags
fedora, lenovo, migrator, x230topensuse