Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Other Versions > EOL (End Of Life) Versions
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

EOL (End Of Life) Versions This is a Forum to discuss problems and workarounds for versions of Fedora that have passed End of Life.

Old 8th March 2017, 10:03 AM
sidebrnz Online

linuxfedorafirefox
Getting grub2 working again after transferring my system to a new drive

Recently, I had to use Clonezilla to move my system to a new drive in a new computer, but it won't boot. I asked for help at ask.fedora, but nobody had an answer. Here's the description of the issue that I posted there, along with a later edit:

I've just finished moving my desktop's Fedora 21 system to a new hard drive using Clonzilla, and I can't get it to boot. I've made sure that grub2 is installed in the right place, but it just complains that it find the specified device, even though the UUID is correct. I've tried using the Fedora Project's instructions for booting from the grub prompt, but they're wrong. Using a different set, I learned about using set to get it to accept such things as the kernel and initramfs to use. Alas, it's stuck in grub rescue, doesn't understand normal to get out of rescue, or boot to try booting the system. I don't really want to install F 25 and trying to reinstall all of the programs I've got, but I may have to. I do have /home on its own partition, so I won't lose everything, but it's still a PITA. Does anybody know how to either rebuild grub from a Live System, or to get grub to do what it's supposed to, so that I don't need to use the nuclear option of complete reinstall

EDIT:

I suppose that I should also mention that this whole thing started because I had to move to a new mobo, that didn't have the right connectors for the old drives. Also, the new mobo doesn't have nVidia graphics as the old one does. At one point, it almost booted but failed because of the nVidia drivers. I rebooted from the flash drive, used chroot to the root of the old system and used
Code:
dnf remove -y \*nvidia\*
to get rid of them. Still can't boot, but at least they're not an issue any longer.

If you want to see the questions various posters had and my responses, you can see them here.
Registered Linux user #470359 and permanently recovered BOFH.

Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Last edited by sidebrnz; 8th March 2017 at 08:12 PM.
Old 8th March 2017, 10:08 AM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxubuntufirefox
Re: Getting grub2 working again after transferring my system to a new drive

No answers for you. More questions.

Could it be a UEFI / no UEFI issue?
Maybe secure boot getting in the way?
grub vs grub-efi?

Just a couple thoughts.
Old 8th March 2017, 10:17 AM
antikythera Online
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

moved to EOL as you want to try and keep your F21 install as it is. Personally, I can't see it ever working but I'm not that familiar with migrating an install to a new system with completely different hardware.

The nvidia stumbling block may unfortunately be the tip of the iceberg. The new system will also have a completely different chipset and power management circuit. Just how much of the hardware is different? Have you also switched processor and RAM? There are PATA to SATA adaptors available, did you use some or fit new drives as well? If still using Fedora 21 kernels and X11, they may panic with unrecognised newer hardware. Just my uneducated thoughts on the matter.

A complete list of old components vs. new may help forum users assist you further here. Same applies for the ask site.
Old 8th March 2017, 10:29 AM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I will try to help, since I have an FC21 in my Virtualbox, as shown here:

1. When you boot from a Live USB stick, and you do an fdisk -l
what does the hard disk show ?

2. My /etc/fstab shows:
Code:
#
# /etc/fstab
# Created by anaconda on Sat Jan 17 17:18:59 2015
#
# Accessible filesystems, by reference, are maintained under '/dev/disk'
# See man pages fstab(5), findfs(8), mount(8) and/or blkid(8) for more info
#
UUID=a6836ecf-67c9-4568-a1a4-6fffc5bd499b /                       ext4    defaults        1 1
UUID=2d22b5b9-9cfe-4118-a9a8-441262f9e85c swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
3. My /boot/grub2/grub.cfg shows:
Code:
### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
menuentry 'Fedora (3.17.8-300.fc21.i686) 21 (Twenty One)' --class fedora --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --unrestricted $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-3.17.4-301.fc21.i686-advanced-a6836ecf-67c9-4568-a1a4-6fffc5bd499b' {
        load_video
        set gfxpayload=keep
        insmod gzio
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ext2
        set root='hd0,msdos2'
        if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
          search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-ieee1275='ieee1275//disk@0,msdos2' --hint-bios=hd0,msdos2 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos2 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos2 --hint='hd0,msdos2'  a6836ecf-67c9-4568-a1a4-6fffc5bd499b
        else
          search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root a6836ecf-67c9-4568-a1a4-6fffc5bd499b
        fi
        linux16 /boot/vmlinuz-3.17.8-300.fc21.i686 root=UUID=a6836ecf-67c9-4568-a1a4-6fffc5bd499b ro rhgb quiet LANG=en_US.UTF-8
        initrd16 /boot/initramfs-3.17.8-300.fc21.i686.img
}
menuentry 'Fedora, wit................ (the older versions below)
I will post more as I find it.
Old 8th March 2017, 08:20 PM
sidebrnz Online

linuxfedorafirefox

I've moved this system to new mobos more than once, without trouble, but this is the first time I've had to use different disks as well. And, the flash drive has a real F 25 system in it, fully updated, not a Live system that resets at reboot. (If you're going to do it, do it right!) Checking, fdisk shows all of the partitions on the new disk, exactly as it should.) And no, there are no UEFI or secure boot issues to worry about.

I originally put this in Installation and Upgrades because I didn't think that the version number was relevant; if there'd been changes in the boot process between F 21 and F 25, I would have started out here. And, I've already gotten more response here than there, but that's normal for me. If I have to ask for help with something, it's probably so obscure that most people won't have any idea what to do.

Old 12th March 2017, 04:35 AM
sidebrnz Online

linuxfedorafirefox

Recent attempts to boot have reported a kernel panic and that it's failing to sync. It's told me that there's no working init and that I should try passing init= on the command line, and sometimes that it can't execute /bin/sh.

Tags
drive, grub2, transferring, working