Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th March 2017, 11:58 PM
Kaneelman Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Freeze on bootloader/grub during F25 install

To be specific, this is my problem:
While installing F25 on my new laptop, everytime it tries to install the bootloader, the whole system seems to freeze, or atleast the display does. At the part where the installation says 'Installing boot loader'

More info:
I bought a new laptop a few days ago(Acer aspire ES1-533-P1SA, shipped with W10), and almost immediately tried to install linux. I have used an Ubuntu distro before, but I am far from an experienced user.
The thing is, I did not only try F25, also tried a few other distro's, but every single one of them freezes when it tries to install a boot loader.
It seems I can only boot in UEFI mode. I have secure boot off now, but had same problem when it was on before. Tried Boot-repair, but the same freeze happens when it tries to install Grub, been scrolling through hundreds of google results the past two days, but can't seem to find a fix that is working for me.

Windows has been removed from the laptop in the process, so there usually isn't any working OS on the laptop.

I've used a bootable usb for all the installations. If any other information might be handy, let me know.
Old 11th March 2017, 02:06 AM
dswaner Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Freeze on bootloader/grub during F25 install

I guess the textbook procedure would be to boot a Live CD (/ USB), and (as root) chroot to the F25 on the HD, and reinstall grub (UEFI, or BIOS, as the case may be). That's described somewhere in the docs available via the Fedora Project. If Windows got wiped, I wonder about the UEFI partition - did it get wiped too? A perhaps simpler alternative would be to reinstall F25, and designate that grub be installed on a USB. That would hopefully allow you to boot the laptop, and then reinstall grub on the HD, maybe after making some repairs - or at least make it easier to investigate.
Old 11th March 2017, 01:28 PM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

My 0.02$:

Almost every new laptop gets shipped with UEFI bios, which is just another way that Micro$crap tried to cartel-press the planet into their lunacy.

Rant aside, when I install Fedora, I do it like this:

1. Select Customize Partitioning Now (so, no automatic partitioning / default install)
2. Unselect LVM (it makes things a LOT more complicated by adding a layer, which you will never be able to find when you most need it)
3. So in standard partitioning,
a. I click on + , then I add /boot/efi (you can find it in the small partition type selector) with 100Mb (some people here recommend 200)
b. then swap (you can also find that in the small partition type selector) with 2x RAM size (so, I type 8000 , if I have 4gb ram)
c. then / (just type in there a forward slash "/" , this is the root partition) with say 50 or 100gb (type say 50000)

The rest of the drive, I usually leave empty, so I can truecrypt/LUKS it, and mount it later manually as /home, that can be done once the box is installed, with gparted, much later.

What I think is missing in your installation, is that /boot/efi partition during installation process.

Last edited by bobx001; 11th March 2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12th March 2017, 01:17 AM
dswaner Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
I guess the textbook procedure would be to boot a Live CD (/ USB), and (as root) chroot to the F25 on the HD, and reinstall grub (UEFI, or BIOS, as the case may be). That's described somewhere in the docs available via the Fedora Project.
I'm currently unable to find a comprehensive, recent, how-to on the chroot trick in the Fedora Project docs, and only sketchy descriptions on Fedora Forum. I've never done it myself, but it appears that the /boot and /boot.efi partitions and maybe others would also need to be mounted before doing the chroot. I have fairly recently installed the (grub) bootloader to a USB drive - as I recall the option to specify the bootloader details is somewhat difficult to notice in the install procedure. but it is there.
Old 12th March 2017, 07:09 AM
nsnbm Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
The thing is, I did not only try F25, also tried a few other distro's, but every single one of them freezes when it tries to install a boot loader.
I think I'd be making sure the hard disk is clean. I'd use something like:
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M
and get rid of any mbr data with something like
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda count=512
then try and install again on a clean disk. I've found this to work in the past when I had trouble installing, which probably means that some data was left on the disk which was interfering with the install program. But I only have this experience on a desktop, not a laptop.
Old 14th March 2017, 02:37 PM
Kaneelman Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnbm View Post
I think I'd be making sure the hard disk is clean. I'd use something like:
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M
and get rid of any mbr data with something like
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda count=512
then try and install again on a clean disk. I've found this to work in the past when I had trouble installing, which probably means that some data was left on the disk which was interfering with the install program. But I only have this experience on a desktop, not a laptop.
I have tried the second line of code already before a few of the installations, but never altered the result. I'll try both this time and make sure to install with gpt.

I am very surprised that I have been searching for almost a week, and still haven't found a single similar problem one the internet.

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswaner View Post
I guess the textbook procedure would be to boot a Live CD (/ USB), and (as root) chroot to the F25 on the HD, and reinstall grub (UEFI, or BIOS, as the case may be). That's described somewhere in the docs available via the Fedora Project. If Windows got wiped, I wonder about the UEFI partition - did it get wiped too? A perhaps simpler alternative would be to reinstall F25, and designate that grub be installed on a USB. That would hopefully allow you to boot the laptop, and then reinstall grub on the HD, maybe after making some repairs - or at least make it easier to investigate.
Tried this before already, but chroot doesn't seem to work, because it can't find the files/locations I am trying to mount. I assume it is because none of the installations was able to finish.

Last edited by Kaneelman; 14th March 2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 14th March 2017, 03:05 PM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneelman View Post
I have tried the second line of code already before a few of the installations, but never altered the result. I'll try both this time and make sure to install with gpt.

I am very surprised that I have been searching for almost a week, and still haven't found a single similar problem one the internet.

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

Tried this before already, but chroot doesn't seem to work, because it can't find the files/locations I am trying to mount. I assume it is because none of the installations was able to finish.

maybe fdisk -l
and then blkid /dev/sdXn

?
Old 14th March 2017, 03:17 PM
dswaner Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
I always partition the drive before doing the installation, and always install using "custom" partitioning. You could, using the Live CD/USB gui disk tool, or using fdisk in a terminal (as root), see how the drive is currently partitioned. It sounds like the process failed at the very end - the grub installation - so the root file system should have already been created on some partition, and you should be able to mount it.
Old 14th March 2017, 09:09 PM
dswaner Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
so the root file system should have already been created on some partition, and you should be able to mount it
I never use LVM, and don't know much about it. If you took the installation defaults, I believe that includes LVM, so even if the root partition was created, maybe mounting it with LVM is more involved? Maybe you need to use an LVM tool to find and mount the root partition? Adding LVM to the grub and UEFI mix, I don't have any answers.
Old 14th March 2017, 11:34 PM
dswaner Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I just stumbled across this:
Quote:
It has been reported by some users that GRUB 2 may fail to install on a partition's boot sector if the computer floppy controller is activated in BIOS without an actual floppy disk drive being present.
From Other_GRUB_2_issues.
Old 15th March 2017, 09:22 AM
Kaneelman Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
I just stumbled across this: From Other_GRUB_2_issues.
Very interesting! I'll try to check if the drive is in the boot list when I get home. Maybe this will make the difference. Will report back.

And for Lvm, I have used it the first installation about a week ago, but after that I only used manual partition (and have wiped the hard drive a few times ever since)
Old 15th March 2017, 06:39 PM
Kaneelman Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

I don't seem to have any option regarding floppy's. Here are what my bios look like, the options are pretty limited.

Old 15th March 2017, 06:58 PM
dswaner Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

In the boot order, ATAPI CDROM is listed. However, on the first screen, for the ATAPI model it says "none". So, it looks like you need to remove ATAPI CDROM from the boot order. It looks like the same situation described at Other_GRUB_2_issues, except for a missing CDROM instead of a missing floppy drive. You may be in luck!
Old 15th March 2017, 07:49 PM
Kaneelman Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
In the boot order, ATAPI CDROM is listed. However, on the first screen, for the ATAPI model it says "none". So, it looks like you need to remove ATAPI CDROM from the boot order. It looks like the same situation described at Other_GRUB_2_issues, except for a missing CDROM instead of a missing floppy drive. You may be in luck!
Ah thanks! I'll try this! If this doesn't work, I'll try to update my bios for more advanced options
Old 15th March 2017, 10:35 PM
Kaneelman Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Okay, so, quiet a few things happened. Wasn't able to remove the CDROM from the boot menu. HOWEVER. While looking how to update my bios without an OS, I stumbled upon this:

http://community.acer.com/t5/E-F-and.../471754/page/2

Finally found more people having problem with installing Ubuntu, and apparently, it is a problem related to this laptop series. I followed the instructions of one on the comments of that specific page, and was finally able to install linux, and afterwards grub from the Live USB, without it crashing.

Sadly, I have a new problem, since I can't boot linux. The laptop boots into grub CLI and when I use the 'boot' command I get the message "error: you need to load the kernel first".

Really happy to make some progress at least and found people that succeeded somehow. Might try another clean install (think I didn't do a clean one the last time, but rather a reinstall of my previous installation) to see if that fixes the problem.

Tags
bootloader or grub, f25, freeze, install