Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th March 2017, 10:14 AM
Yora0 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Sony Vaio SVF15AA1QM keyboard lighting working erratically

I just installed Fedora 25 on a Vaio SVF15AA1QM which can light up the letters of the keyboard keys to make them better visible in low light. And it works, but only sometimes. Sometimes the keys do light up when I start typing and at other times they don't. I've not been able to find any pattern to that yet. The only thing I noticed is that the keys glow when I am starting the computer and stopped glowing when I got to the login screen. But again, sometimes they did work when I was logged in and using the keyboard. Right now they don't.

Does anyone have any idea or guesses of what's going on there?
Old 12th March 2017, 12:27 PM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Sony Vaio SVF15AA1QM keyboard lighting working erratically

I only use Vaios (have 9 or 10 of them, oldest since 1997), and they all still work, with linux.

The ones I have with backlit keyboard , Vaio Z, and Vaio T , do light up their keyboards, but it happens independently of OS, and only when there is low light. i.e. if I type during the day the backlight does not turn on. They appear to have a light sensor.

I have not found any entry in Linux to change any backlight setting.
Old 12th March 2017, 07:59 PM
Yora0 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Okay, that might make sense. working right now that it's dark. I'll keeping watching for that.
Old 15th March 2017, 07:50 PM
Yora0 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Apparently it's not simply about the hardware detecting bright daylight. Right now it's really quite dark and even when I have the screen set to a black background the light is currently off-

Tags
erratically, keyboard, lighting, sony, svf15aa1qm, vaio, working