Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th March 2017, 12:58 PM
leslieking Offline

linuxchrome
HP Probook 4540s. Intel HD3000 Graphics.

Hello, I have an HP Probook 4540s laptop. It's almost five years old but it's still going strong for everyday tasks. The specs are: Intel i5 SandyBridge CPU with Intel HD3000 graphics, 8GB RAM, and 240GB SSD.

I can do a CPU upgrade to IvyBridge with Intel HD4000 graphics, but I don't know if it's worth, or better save that money and purchase and external hard drive which I also need right now.

I noticed some minimal lags when using Wayland, especially when I'm hovering the mouse on the dock (dash to dock extension). These lags aren't criticial and they're very minimal, but they never happen when switching to Gnome on Xorg. Do you think that upgrading to Intel HD4000 may help, or these issues will be probably ironed out in future Wayland releases?

Any suggestions appreciated! Thank you.
Old 13th March 2017, 03:00 PM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: HP Probook 4540s. Intel HD3000 Graphics.

My 0.02$:

I found this:
http://compare-processors.com/hd-gra...-vs-4000/5671/

The performance increase does not look so impressive, but if it's cheap for you to do, without killing the laptop, then why not.
Old 13th March 2017, 04:11 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

the lag is a Wayland issue that will be resolved in the future

apart from the difference in GPU, there's a couple of other very subtle benefits but it depends how much the replacement part is going to cost vs. the benefits of the external storage. They are the 10nm smaller die which marginally boosts overall performance and electrical efficiency, plus the option to use higher frequency RAM (with the proviso of your notebook's chipset being able to run it at the higher frequency)

also, you would need to check the fitted cooling system can support the TDP of the replacement processor. I maintain and overhaul laptops quite often and I don't believe it would be worth the pain, especially if the part is second hand and you have no guarantee it will actually work other than trusting the word of the vendor. Unless you are confident you really know what you are doing and can re-assemble your notebook afterwards please do not attempt the modification

if you didn't already have an SSD I would have said to save the money from the CPU and external drive and get one

please save yourself the hassle and buy the external storage
Old 13th March 2017, 06:11 PM
leslieking Offline

linuxchrome

Thank you for your suggestions. Actually I'm using an i5 CPU with Intel HD3000 graphics on a 7-series motherboard. Usually the 7-series motherboard ships with IvyBridge, but they sold the laptop at promotional price and putting a SandyBridge was probably a good business for the seller. I know someone with the same model/laptop who uses the i5-3230M (Intel HD4000), so the TDP should be fine. I don't do any gaming and I just wanted to know if it makes any difference. Most apps are opening blazingly fast. I already have an SSD, I just wanted something to store data on it. So, if the HD4000 doesn't make much differnce for Wayland it probably don't worth the upgrade.

Tags
4540s, graphics, hd3000, intel, probook