Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th August 2005, 02:45 PM
tigerplish Offline

FC4 fresh install, no SMP kernel boot, UP kernel boots OK

Greetings.

Tried getting FC4 into a Dell 6450 4-way server, 3 drives in RAID5, 6 gb ram.

Install went OK, but when time came for first boot, the SMP kernel failed.

The UP kernel works.. so using that I put in, and tried booting to 2 different FC4 SMP kernels.. again, no-go. Same failure.

Problem is, this is right at boot, even before nash starts (I think). I can't pause it to write it down. I can't think of a way to send it to disk.

In essense, as soon as GRUB passes on to the actual boot with any SMP FC4 kernel, a lot of hex, a lot of fast scrolling happens, and the bootl hangs at mouse detection.

I used yum to bring the system as close to up to date as possible..no change in behavior.. so out with FC4, and in with RH9.

Sorry, no screenshots.. I need this box today, so RH9 is installing at this second.. if I run into this again, I'll post pix. But there seems to be a booting issue with all SMP FC4 kernels.

Any ideas? I see FC3 ran into this, and it was mkinitrd, but this time, mkinitrd is at the latest version allready..

A shame, really.. I was liking what I was seeing in FC4.
Old 10th August 2005, 06:28 PM
tigerplish Offline

*watches tumbleweeds roll by*

Surely, someone has ran into this issue, yes? There was a new kernel posted to updates-test yesterday.. would this be a fix? Anyone? Bueller?

I have 2 more 4-way dells I wish to unleash, so I'll be testing this again soon..
Old 15th August 2005, 03:34 PM
Aelbric Offline

I have been experiencing this as well.

FC4, SMP kernel, Dual Opteron 275s, 16GB RAM, 1.2 TB SATA array.

UP kernel boots with no problems but whenever I try to boot the SMP kernel it fails. This happens in different spots strangely enough. The three spots I have noticed are:

1) At "Booting Linux kernel..."
2) At "Netfilter..." something or other
3) At starting udev

I messed around with some settings and actually did get it to boot once. Unfortunatly, one Yum update later, it will not now reboot into the SMP kernel no matter what I try. I THINK it has something to do with SELinux since disabling that at boot seemed to help the first time. I will keep trying and post results as I come up with them.
Old 15th August 2005, 04:27 PM
Aelbric Offline

UPDATE:

I have a working SMP installation! I altered the boot configuration to pass acpi=off and selinux=0 to the SMP kernel and it booted like a champ. All four cores are processing too. Try this, it may help.

Now what I DID notice is that during the boot cycle, I recieved eight or so lines of error messages. All of them revolved around PowerNOW. Now this may be incidental since this is only the second time the kernel has booted. I suspect though that PowerNOW, if it is linked to acpi, is not functioning properly under the current SMP kernels. I am not a strong OS guys though so that is just speculation.
Old 15th August 2005, 10:19 PM
tigerplish Offline

Mine turned out to be a pre-historic BIOS on the 4-way machine. Once I updated that, I was in like flynn, with fc3, fc4 and rh9.

Glad to hear yours was fixable via boot parameters.

Tags
boot, boots, fc4, fresh, install, kernel, smp