Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st February 2006, 09:25 PM
pmreid Offline

alsamixer default settings

Hi, I ran a yum update about a week ago and it seemed to update a few packages relating to the sound system (openal?)

Since then, the system volume has been ridiculously low, I found that if I run alsamixer the "<VIA DXS>" sliders are always at 0 after a reboot, and increasing these sliders solves the problem of the sound volume.

Just wondering is there any way to fix this so I don't keep having to do this every time I reboot?!

Cheers
nVidia FX 5200 128MB, 9xUSB2, DL DVD+-RW
Fedora Core 5
Old 21st February 2006, 11:32 PM
xeric Offline

I had the same problem. I think it was the update to kernal 2.6.15-1.1830_FC4 when the problem occured, I guess because of changes to the VIA sound driver.
I found that if I set the mixer controls where I wanted them, rebooted to an old kernal and then rebooted to the new kernal, the mixer did not revert to the 0 settings in VIA DXS. I don't know why this worked, as I found it by accident.
Old 22nd February 2006, 12:32 AM
taurus Offline

After you adjust the volume with alsamixer, did you remember to run "alsactl store" to save the settings?

Tags
alsamixer, default, settings