Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th July 2014, 04:53 AM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: CentOS 7 install - Disappointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennzo View Post
I must say that while this morning's installation of CentOS 7 went off without a hitch, I'm disappointed that I have no Ethernet connection. The system seems to think that there are no network devices although lspci clearly shows my Ethernet adapter.

PHP Code:
lspci grep -i ethernet
:07.0 BridgeNVIDIA Corporation MCP61 Ethernet (rev a2
This is on the desktop that I've been happily using for the last several years. I've never had an issue like this.
You have a gotcha.
During the install process, one of the checks that Anaconda asked of you, "Do you want the reboot to begin with/without access to the network. I bet you missed it. I did two installs and I found it in Anaconda during installation 2.

I am running Centos7 and it is very peppy. I guess their software has fewer assert() macros in the code, and programs are faster as they are smaller in byte size and path-length.

The interface is gnomatized. I don't know if gnomatized is good or bad thing. Centos6.5 had the old gnome2, this one has a gnome with the boring boot screen and the boring logon screen and the boring background. Centos6.5 had the gui interface to system commands. Cent07 has that cut out (gnomatized), or circumsized (not circumcised) . systemctl now only available from the command line.

But, Centos7 does work very well.

I have a rant about the weather application. I am in a modern metric country, where we expect metric output from the integrated weather app. The app is minimal, (gives temp as °F without ability to revert it to °C.
That app is nowhere near the very good weather App from Fedora20 Gnome extension. I could not find where to set paramters to revise it.

Qt is incomplete, and missing some development tools. (code-editor) and qt-editor are two that I could not find. Qt-edtor works well with doxygen.

Not sure if we should include the DAG or other repositories. Forum comments were that the common repos for Centos/Scientific were two years behind in updates with no recompiles as yet scheduled for 7.0

I suspect that it will settle down with many updates from the repos to come over the coming months. I hope they work to beautify the interface.

Glenzo. Do you remember when the logon screen had a message area? That is gone, but I hope it returns.
(Useful if you have multiple Centos7 systems on one computer. via VM or dual boot).

Leslie
in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Last edited by lsatenstein; 13th July 2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 13th July 2014, 02:18 PM
bertan Offline

linuxfirefox

FAQ 2, referred to above, which explains that this is a decision of the upstream, is at http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/CentOS7#h...dd5315906fa493

Screencast giving you a preview of what the install will look like is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDgpxXALGXs
Old 15th July 2014, 08:39 PM
Maryyy Offline

linuxfirefox

Hm, I played with Cent7 in VBox and so far, I like it.
But somewhat of a problem are the third party repos. Simply put, with exception of ELrepo they are non-existent.

ATrpms for 7 can be enabled either manually or by installing atrpms-repo from dl.atrpms.net, but it seems like an incomplete mess. Not even VLC and SMplayer is 0.8.6. while it's dependency - mplayer, is completely missing etc. Unusable.
Linuxtech for 7 is also nowhere to be found. RepoForge being conservative as it gets will likely bring something in a year or so.
Well, till this is sorted, it will have to remain in VBox only.

EDIT:
Seems like Repoforge actually DOES exist for 7, just not on the website, but tree.repoforge.org is populated. Gonna try it now.

Unfortunatelly, half empty as well.
I guess it will take some time.

Last edited by Maryyy; 15th July 2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 15th July 2014, 11:52 PM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox

I've installed CentOS 7 both under VirtualBox and a full install on my desktop. As someone else said, it's pretty snappy. So far it is working extremely well for me (once I got the Ethernet issue sorted).

The repos? Guess it will be a while. I can wait. Fedora is my daily driver. The rest are just hobby OS's.
Old 16th July 2014, 01:05 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

I may give it another fairer go when I have time to sit and play around more. My time with it was also limited due to the 10 year old Seagate HDD it was installed to failing shortly after. To expand on my earlier initial thoughts I do understand the fact it is Enterprise orientated. I did like what I saw when it was installed. The installer issues stem from the fact the Fedora 20 installer is more polished in my opinion. So Cent OS' anaconda version felt clunky when I tried it but it worked all the same.

Once installed it does indeed seem very light on resources and fast. I also learnt today that an i686 version may be forthcoming later in the year which I would love to give a go on the notebook because of this.

Also thanks for the Filesystem info. I have indeed read up more on them since. Even after using Mint, Ubuntu and SuSE and other distros for a number of years. I am now happily learning much more about command lines, config files and kernel building with Fedora because of this forum and the community as a whole being much more welcoming and willing to pass on knowledge respectfully.
| Live ISO Respins containing post-release updates
Old 1st March 2016, 12:07 AM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome

Well, Leigh, if you see this, let me add my thanks, 2 years later, finally throwing CentOS-7 on something (an old machine obviously), and had the same problem.

Dang time flies--if it was old to the RH developers in 2014, by now, it must be decrepit.
Old 13th February 2017, 11:38 AM
aasami Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

Well Leigh, even now (years later) you have saved my ass. Thank you; kmod-forcedeth worked.
Old 15th February 2017, 10:54 AM
sikander56k Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Hello Guys,

I am new to Centos 7, just installed and selected server packages with gui. from last two days i am trying to configure ip address to my machine. but not getting network interface where i can assign ip address statically or automatically. I have used the command given above.

lspci | grep -i ethernet
this command show me two ethernet cards of intel and 3com but when i go to /etc/sysconfig/network-scrip and ls i don't get any interface.

if i type command ip link it give me this
1:lo
2:vibr0
3:vibro-nic

With out IP configuration i am unable to connect with internet, can some one please guide me how can i detect and install my network card and assign ip adress in a easy way.

I will be very thankful.

best regards,

Sikander
Old 16th February 2017, 01:14 AM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikander56k View Post
Hello Guys,

I am new to Centos 7, just installed and selected server packages with gui. from last two days i am trying to configure ip address to my machine. but not getting network interface where i can assign ip address statically or automatically. I have used the command given above.

lspci | grep -i ethernet
this command show me two ethernet cards of intel and 3com but when i go to /etc/sysconfig/network-scrip and ls i don't get any interface.

if i type command ip link it give me this
1:lo
2:vibr0
3:vibro-nic

With out IP configuration i am unable to connect with internet, can some one please guide me how can i detect and install my network card and assign ip adress in a easy way.

I will be very thankful.

best regards,

Sikander
Two comments.
Did you setup the internet when doing the anaconda configuration. It seems that if you fail to do it during anaconda setup time, then the network is not enabled (or sometimes not configured).
That was my experience.

We are glad to help if we can, but there is also a centos forum. There you will find the individuals that eat, sleep, drink and dream about Centos.

That link is: https://wiki.centos.org/ and the forum at https://www.centos.org/forums/

Leslie
in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840